PDA

View Full Version : Timing chain noise? Advice?

Russell
11-09-2004, 07:37 PM
I think my timing chain is making a bit of noise. I get a raspy rattling sound when reving from idle. BTW, all pullies and belts are new.

After reading and checking the archives a bit, this problem sounds like a loose or worn timing chain noise. The Bentley seems to make it sound as if it is a difficult job with special tools to do anything relating to the timing chain.

Not sure if I want to tackle. Assuming this is the problem area. What is invloved parts wise and time wise for an indy to tackle?

Thanks in advance

winfred
11-09-2004, 10:22 PM
to do it right i would do all of the sprockets and rollers and guide rails, the way to get to all of that is remove the front cover of the motor and to remove that you loosen and lower the oil pan and remove the head as the cover is sandwidged between them

billb
11-09-2004, 10:56 PM
I think my timing chain is making a bit of noise. I get a raspy rattlting sound when reving from idle. BYW, all pullies and belts are new.

After reading and checking the archives a bit, this problem sounds like a loose or worn timing chain noise. The Bentley seems to make it sound as if it is a difficult job with special tools to do anything relating to the timing chain.

Not sure if I want to tackle. Assuming this is the problem area. What is invloved parts wise and time wise for an indy to tackle?

Thanks in advance

It quietened down my M42 318iS...

winfred
11-09-2004, 11:00 PM
that'd be my best guess, they came out with a updated unit for the m50

How's the hydraulic tensioner? That could be causing you some grief...

Russell
11-10-2004, 06:10 AM
Can you tell me the part numbers etc. and is this something I can do myself? if I rememeber correctly from Bentley, there is a tensioner with a spring that is external to the engine. I assume this is what you are talking about. Anything else looks like really big job if the head must be removed.

Thanks

that'd be my best guess, they came out with a updated unit for the m50

winfred
11-10-2004, 09:17 AM
on the m50 it just unscrews from the head above the ac compressor and you just screw a new one in paying attention to the position of the notch on the end so that it fits onto the tension rail, i think it's real cheep under or around $20

Russell
11-10-2004, 11:39 AM
I think I will order the part or parts from Patrick at BMA. It may not be the problem. However just to be on the safe side I will go ahead and do it.

Even so, I am still not sure, Is it a update "kit" or do I need just the spring or individual parts? From My ETK there appears to be several individual items. yet no mention of an update "kit" that I can see.

I Really appreciate your help. It looks like a simple job once you have the correct parts.

on the m50 it just unscrews from the head above the ac compressor and you just screw a new one in paying attention to the position of the notch on the end so that it fits onto the tension rail, i think it's real cheep under or around $20

Russell
11-10-2004, 07:53 PM
Winfred- once more please -:)

winfred
11-10-2004, 10:37 PM
Winfred- once more please -:)

632 Regal
11-10-2004, 10:53 PM
sheeesh...hydrobud goin on down there?

winfred
11-10-2004, 11:11 PM
i've gotten them as a assembly but heres how bmw lists it, try bma they may know what's up
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/tensioner.jpg

sheeesh...hydrobud goin on down there?
bite me :D

ryan roopnarine
11-11-2004, 01:43 AM
hate to say it guys, but i don't think bma knows what's going on either. i asked them to send me an upper timing chain tensioner (not the head), (for the same reason as russel wants it for) and they sent me item 10 by itself. i would have needed the spring, at least, in addition. i'm trying to kill some timing chain noise right now, but i don't have the time to call them back and get the spring and maybe the cylinder body and such....maybe when i get the brake lamp i need.

Russell
11-11-2004, 03:47 AM
As you said, just over $20.00 for the indidual parts 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 shown in the etk.

Thanks again,

i've gotten them as a assembly but heres how bmw lists it, try bma they may know what's up
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/tensioner.jpg

bite me :D