PDA

View Full Version : Thick white exhaust when idle

bobbywitts
11-09-2004, 04:01 AM
Hi Guys.

Wonder if I can pick your brains. I have just bought a 1990 520i se auto. 120k. When I start the engine everything is fine. After a few minutes it starts to smoke, a little to start with, then after about 10 minutes a lot. This only seems to happen when the car is stationary. (My Dad followed me back and told me it didn't happen when driving), but as soon as I stop at lights, junction etc it starts again. The drive is still lovely, no loss of power and still very smooth. I have noticed when the car is idle the engine doesn't sound particularly smooth. The temp gauge is only on about a 1/4 maybe slightly more.

Any help or advice would me much appreciated.

Thanks

BobbyWitts

Paul in NZ
11-09-2004, 05:06 AM
As winter approaches and air temps drops the water vapour in the exhaust becomes visible.These cars have a large heavy exhaust system which takes a long time to warm up and so clear all the old condensate out.When you post about a problem it always pays to note your model and year and transmission

GS535i
11-09-2004, 07:30 AM
Keep a very close eye on the coolant level for the next few days .....

jj7
11-09-2004, 10:16 AM
Keep a very close eye on the coolant level for the next few days .....

I would say the same,sometimes the head gasket can allow coolant mix and cause this white smoke....

MicahO
11-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Given the time of year and the amount of mass in these exhaust systems, I'm voting with Paul!