Hector
11-08-2004, 06:36 PM
Just as there are brand names for these parts:
Radiators----Behr
Rotors-------Balos
Oil Filters-----Mahle or Mann
Thrust Arms---Lemforder
Etc, etc.... you get the idea...

Is there a brand name for a water pump? I'm getting tired of replacing this. I don't mine paying the extra bucks for a higher quality part. I gotta a leak coming from underneath the pump but I still need to know if its coming from the shaft or if it's coming from the mating surfaces.

I just got through cleaning the engine/parts just before I installed the head/parts (hopefully I'll show pics later) and now I see this eyesore blue coolant sliming over the upper timing chain cover... the curse of the m30 engine: just can't keep itself clean. Just like a dog, can't resist from wallowing in the dirt/mud after being bathed... geeeeeze...

Hector
11-09-2004, 09:17 AM
Laso & Kolbenschmidt are the numero uno in water pumps with Laso being on top for Mercedes & BMW. Also, Kolbenschmidt makes engine blocks, pistons, bearings...

Just as there are brand names for these parts:
Radiators----Behr
Rotors-------Balos
Oil Filters-----Mahle or Mann
Thrust Arms---Lemforder
Etc, etc.... you get the idea...

Is there a brand name for a water pump? I'm getting tired of replacing this. I don't mine paying the extra bucks for a higher quality part. I gotta a leak coming from underneath the pump but I still need to know if its coming from the shaft or if it's coming from the mating surfaces.

I just got through cleaning the engine/parts just before I installed the head/parts (hopefully I'll show pics later) and now I see this eyesore blue coolant sliming over the upper timing chain cover... the curse of the m30 engine: just can't keep itself clean. Just like a dog, can't resist from wallowing in the dirt/mud after being bathed... geeeeeze...

Mr Project
11-09-2004, 09:30 AM
Yeah, I read on bmwdatabase.com that Laso was a good way to go. I picked up a Laso unit as a spare a year or so ago, though I never got to use it...ended up in my neighbor's E28.

tim
11-09-2004, 10:00 AM
I have to warn you, Laso comes with plastic impeller. (at least mine did)

Hector
11-09-2004, 10:17 AM
If people claim Laso makes high quality OE parts, then I find it hard to believe they would stick a plastic impeller in there. Thanks for the warning. From what I read here, however, it looks as though that is the case only for the M20 & M50? Anyhow, I will do some checking before I place an order, if it is indeed, the water pump shaft that is leaking.

I have to warn you, Laso comes with plastic impeller. (at least mine did)

Bill R.
11-09-2004, 10:34 AM
535. and as far as plastic being an indicator of quality i don't think you can go by that, since the original equipment pumps on the m50's are plastic and they last about 5 to 8 years it seems on the original cars before they failed...
I have had very good results with the hepu pumps I have been installing, machining is nice, low drag to turn the pump impellar, nice looking casting and no problems so far with any of them. And a reasonable price. Link to hepu for info (http://www.hepu.de/hepu/Default.aspx?ID=59&CID=2)

If people claim Laso makes high quality OE parts, then I find it hard to believe they would stick a plastic impeller in there. Thanks for the warning. From what I read here, however, it looks as though that is the case only for the M20 & M50? Anyhow, I will do some checking before I place an order, if it is indeed, the water pump shaft that is leaking.

632 Regal
11-09-2004, 10:49 AM
all I kno is stay away from Geba brand and plastic impellers.

Hector
11-09-2004, 10:54 AM
recommending. Just got off the web searching for more info on the topic. Kolbenschmidt-Pierburg AG makes 3 versions of the pump: two with different types of plastic impellers and one made from steel. Will have to check out their prices. Yeah, I just read what you said about the plastic impellers being the original equipment on M50s. Probably the reason they fail prematurely (?) is due to the attack of elements from expired coolant, or maybe we just freak out when see a plastic device in there, jump to conclusions, and give the thing a bad rap because we know that steel will always outplay plastic any time.

535. and as far as plastic being an indicator of quality i don't think you can go by that, since the original equipment pumps on the m50's are plastic and they last about 5 to 8 years it seems on the original cars before they failed...
I have had very good results with the hepu pumps I have been installing, machining is nice, low drag to turn the pump impellar, nice looking casting and no problems so far with any of them. And a reasonable price. Link to hepu for info (http://www.hepu.de/hepu/Default.aspx?ID=59&CID=2)

Bill R.
11-09-2004, 11:07 AM
water pump last?.... the only thing thats scary about the plastic impellar failure is you don't have any symptoms to warn you until it overheats. Most metal pumps fail at the bearing and seal so you usually have either bearing noise or a visible leak at the seal that gives you some warning before catastrophic failure.. The plastic impellar just starts slipping so you don't notice anything until it overheats....

recommending. Just got off the web searching for more info on the topic. Kolbenschmidt-Pierburg AG makes 3 versions of the pump: two with different types of plastic impellers and one made from steel. Will have to check out their prices. Yeah, I just read what you said about the plastic impellers being the original equipment on M50s. Probably the reason they fail prematurely (?) is due to the attack of elements from expired coolant, or maybe we just freak out when see a plastic device in there, jump to conclusions, and give the thing a bad rap because we know that steel will always outplay plastic any time.

winfred
11-09-2004, 01:28 PM
i also like the hepu, graf's are our other favorite brand for bmw

Hector
11-10-2004, 09:50 AM
a poor choice of words.

I found that the coolant is coming out of a hole right underneath the coolant pump shaft. Is this some kind of a beather hole, and if so, how much coolant is supposed to come out of there?

winfred
11-10-2004, 01:04 PM
it's known as a weep hole and it lets you know that your pump is bad by pissing coolent, any amount is a sign of bad news to come

a poor choice of words.

I found that the coolant is coming out of a hole right underneath the coolant pump shaft. Is this some kind of a beather hole, and if so, how much coolant is supposed to come out of there?

Hector
11-10-2004, 03:25 PM
Winfred, thank you much. Just ordered a Hepu pump.

it's known as a weep hole and it lets you know that your pump is bad by pissing coolent, any amount is a sign of bad news to come