PDA

View Full Version : Lower door trim removal

chapmanw
11-07-2004, 11:47 PM
Just wondering if anyone else has removed the lower door trim. Mine appears to building up rust in that area. I want to clean it up but I'm wondering if I can re-use the old door trim. The trim appears to be in good condition.

thanks

632 Regal
11-08-2004, 12:20 PM
new ones are like 20 bux each, havent replaced mine yet.

JonE
11-08-2004, 12:28 PM
Those door trims are a real rust trap, pull them off and inspect your door bottoms. They may be rusting. I had the bottoms of my doors sandblasted and repainted, with new door bottoms trims installed. The trims are usually not re-usable, they break down internally. Pull them off, you'll see whether good or not.

Gooch
11-08-2004, 12:57 PM
The bottom trim has metal inside. What happens is the trim splits, the metal rusts and it shows up on inside of the door or it starts the door to rust too. I bought all four door bottoms and will replace before winter. You'll also find the door side molding is made the same. I have 2 of those that are starting to rust too.

tim s
11-08-2004, 01:20 PM
does bma have them?
what color are they?
thanks
tim s.

JonE
11-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Black, BMA should have them.

chapmanw
11-08-2004, 03:38 PM
and not replace them b/c they seem to start rust? not sure how it will look though. i'm going to buy some before i start ripping off the old ones.

thanks,

The bottom trim has metal inside. What happens is the trim splits, the metal rusts and it shows up on inside of the door or it starts the door to rust too. I bought all four door bottoms and will replace before winter. You'll also find the door side molding is made the same. I have 2 of those that are starting to rust too.

632 Regal
11-08-2004, 03:53 PM
are they glued or something? How bout putting some sort of grease in the groove before popping the new ones on?

InfernoM3
11-08-2004, 04:43 PM
are they glued or something? How bout putting some sort of grease in the groove before popping the new ones on?
Mine were completed worn out. to the point that the plastic and metal were chipping. yah they are rust traps. I got new ones from BMA. They slide into a groove starting at end of the door.

Don
11-08-2004, 08:16 PM
I changed mine this spring. The old ones are not worth trying to salvage. The new ones I bought for my 95 were grey and had to be paonted. They were also a B*tch to get back on after the doors treated for rust.

There are two types of trim. The later cars have a rigid piece and the older ones are flexable. BMA has both and neither have any metal in them.