PDA

View Full Version : ASC+T in E34 525i M50 (10/'91)?

Interceptor
11-07-2004, 02:50 PM
First of all, greets to all forum users!

So, have anyone done it? Is it possible? What do I need to make it happen?

I've noticed there are 2 different ABS modules - with and without ASC. Are they pin compatible (i.e. have the same number of pins on the connector)? How will the ASC know the position of the gas pedal? Do I have to have EML, too?

The main reason for upgrade is that my girlfriend will be driving my car in the near future, and I don't feel very comfortable giving her 192 HP car without some sort of traction control! :)

All (any) help appreciated!

Shaun
11-07-2004, 04:29 PM
First of all, greets to all forum users!

So, have anyone done it? Is it possible? What do I need to make it happen?

I've noticed there are 2 different ABS modules - with and without ASC. Are they pin compatible (i.e. have the same number of pins on the connector)? How will the ASC know the position of the gas pedal? Do I have to have EML, too?

The main reason for upgrade is that my girlfriend will be driving my car in the near future, and I don't feel very comfortable giving her 192 HP car without some sort of traction control! :)

All (any) help appreciated!

Aside from any electronic issues (ie, lack of DME knowledge about ASC+T etc), I know there is a difference in hydro blocks for ABS and ABS/ASC+T. It utilizes some extra lines, from what I've been able to determine. So you'd need the ASC+T specific hydro block AND ABS/ASC+T module, and probably whatever lines and sensors are associated at the brakes.

I have been looking into this myself, but have come to the conclusion it's not really worth the effort unless you have some sick addiction to ASC+T ;)

DueyT
11-07-2004, 09:27 PM
Interceptor, as Shaun says, it would probably be more trouble and/or cost than the value added. Not to downplay the power of the 525i, but I don't think that the car would get squirrelly on your girlfriend except in very wet or snowy conditions. To be honest, even with a chipped 540i/6, I have rarely had ASC+T kick in...in fact I often drive the car with it turned off...just to get a better feel for the car and the understeer/oversteer that can be controlled with the throttle. I would spend less money on having your girlfriend attend a local club driving course to gain a better appreciation for driving "The Ultimate Driving Machine"....unless, of course, you absolutely must have ASC+T...

Cheers,
Duey

Interceptor
11-08-2004, 04:03 AM
Interceptor, as Shaun says, it would probably be more trouble and/or cost than the value added. Not to downplay the power of the 525i, but I don't think that the car would get squirrelly on your girlfriend except in very wet or snowy conditions.

The main problem is that I live in town of Split, Croatia, where roads are slippy as hell! I have problems with traction even with new tyres and on dry days! :) You can't even imagine what happens when it rains :)

Well, thanks to both, anyways!

DueyT
11-08-2004, 05:30 PM
Ah-ha...the Balkan winters...understood. If you don't mind the money to buy the extra parts...the more important question may be to get all the additional wiring and have the DME work properly. To be honest, I don't know if Euro-spec 525i's could have ASC+T as an option. I thought that only the later 540i's had ASC+T.

p.s. Split, eh? We (Canadians) have a few of our Griffon helicopters (that were in Velika Kladusa) sitting in Split waiting for a transport ship to bring them home. A friend of mine was stationed in Split a few years ago...he said it was incredibly beautiful, especially the view into the Mediterranian Sea in the evening!

Cheers,
Duey

Interceptor
11-09-2004, 02:48 AM
Ah-ha...the Balkan winters...understood. If you don't mind the money to buy the extra parts...the more important question may be to get all the additional wiring and have the DME work properly. To be honest, I don't know if Euro-spec 525i's could have ASC+T as an option. I thought that only the later 540i's had ASC+T.

Well, I examined the instrument cluster and it has empty sockets for EML and ASC bulbs! European 525i had the ASC option from 1993 on. Since my car is late '91, it should be possible to equip it with ASC, right? I found some schematics on some russian site that describes the wiring - the pump and the sensors are drawn the same way, the only difference is the connector that has 55 pins for ASC and 35 for ABS only. 5 pins lead to EML, as it seems.

p.s. Split, eh? We (Canadians) have a few of our Griffon helicopters (that were in Velika Kladusa) sitting in Split waiting for a transport ship to bring them home. A friend of mine was stationed in Split a few years ago...he said it was incredibly beautiful, especially the view into the Mediterranian Sea in the evening!

Actually, that's the Adriatic sea :) Mediterranian is behind Italy, the Adriatic is between Italy and Croatia. And yes, the scene is beautiful, but I guess you get used to it when you live your whole life here :)

--
Regards