PDA

View Full Version : water valve failure....thaaat's nice!

DueyT
11-06-2004, 11:29 PM
Anyone care to take a guess how quickly water can spew out of a failed hose connector on the plastic water valve body? (hint: especially when the hose it fails on is the one connected to the water pump outlet!)

Luckily BMW designed the M60 so that water doesn't just dump out a busted coolant hose below the engine block and empty the coolant entirely...luckily hoses are all higher than the water pump...well...which doesn't exactly help until the water pump cavitates and stops emptying the block...

:( man, that makes for a lot of steam (that and the entire underside and arse end of my car is covered with sticky blue goo!)

632 Regal
11-07-2004, 12:12 PM
what??

winfred
11-07-2004, 12:49 PM
what??

that's the long way of saying goddamnsonofabitchenmother****ing cheep plastic

DueyT
11-07-2004, 02:03 PM
that's the long way of saying goddamnsonofabitchenmother****ing cheep plastic
EXACTLY!

Of all the rest of the engineering of these cars that's "fantastiche", the piddly plastic used in the water valve SUCKS....well actually, it BLOWS!

Winfred, Bill R...I hope I'm not right that I have to replace the entire water valve...but that's what it looks like right about now. *sigh*

As an aside...could the lead-up to the failure have made for a coolant smell inside the car for the last little while (when the HVAC temp was turned up)? Or am I also having a leak in the little triple-pipe feed to the heater core? Hmmm...

Cheers,
Duey

DueyT
11-08-2004, 05:36 PM
Well, BMW Canada wanted $350+tax (Cdn) for the pump. Even my local import guy who gets awesome prices couldn't break 200+tax.

Spoke with Patrick today and $100us+$20 for priority shipping (which eliminates brokerage and duties) and I'll be back in business! Yayyyy BMA!!! :D

Cheers,
Duey