PDA

View Full Version : Rattle/grinding noise at idle 95 525i - help!

Russell
11-06-2004, 04:45 PM
I have this “rattle and/or grinding” noise at idle and when I rev the engine. It seems to go change tone and diminish at higher rpms. I can hear/feel it while in the driver’s seat at idle and low rpm. I do not notice it at speed. Not confirmed, but it seems to diminish a bit when I put it in gear. Nosiest in park.

I just replaced all my belts and three pulleys so I do not think they are the source of the noise?

Could this be the infamous Vanos noise?
BTW, I have been using Mobil 1 0w40 for about 15,000 miles and four oil changes. Any correlation?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Bill R.
11-06-2004, 05:42 PM
grinding noise.... I would just pull the belts back off and spin all the accys. one at a time by hand and see which one makes noise... such as the water pump, the alternator, compressor etc...

Russell
11-06-2004, 05:57 PM
When my indy put the belts and pulleys on we specifically checked everything you mentioned. There did not seem to be any problem. Also, turning the air on and off does not seem to change the sound. Even so, it may be one of the compenents you mentioned, yet it is not "broke enough" to be apparent. I will keep watching

grinding noise.... I would just pull the belts back off and spin all the accys. one at a time by hand and see which one makes noise... such as the water pump, the alternator, compressor etc...

Russell
11-06-2004, 09:28 PM
After reading a bit, this problem sounds like loose or worn timing chain noise. The Bentley seems to make it sound as if it is a difficult job with special tools to do anything relating to the timing chain.

Not sure if I want to tackle. Assuming this is the problem area. What is invloved parts wise and time wise for an indy to tackle?

Thanks,

I have this “rattle and/or grinding” noise at idle and when I rev the engine. It seems to go change tone and diminish at higher rpms. I can hear/feel it while in the driver’s seat at idle and low rpm. I do not notice it at speed. Not confirmed, but it seems to diminish a bit when I put it in gear. Nosiest in park.

I just replaced all my belts and three pulleys so I do not think they are the source of the noise?

Could this be the infamous Vanos noise?
BTW, I have been using Mobil 1 0w40 for about 15,000 miles and four oil changes. Any correlation?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.