PDA

View Full Version : Rough idle after running out of gas?

wengenstein
11-06-2004, 01:01 PM
Ok, as I mentioned in a previous thread, I changed my coolant yesterday. During the process I was running the engine with the heat maxed but I neglected to check the gas guage before I started it... I ended up running out of gas in my garage.

To get the car going again so I could get to the local gas station, I used some of the 87 octane gas for my lawnmower ( I was reluctant to do so but I didn't really have a choice :) ) The whole way there the car seemed pretty shakey and there were times where I had to keep the engine reving when stopped so I wouldn't stall. The check engine light was also on most of the way.

Since getting gas the car has had somewhat of a rought idle (it seems to come and go) and the check engine light has remained on. Could running out of gas, or suddenly running on that low octane fuel with my Nik block have caused some sort of problem? or is it more likely that I screwed someting up in replacing the coolant?

Thanks,
Dennis

Warren N.CA
11-06-2004, 01:24 PM
1. Fill the tank full with the best high octane fuel.

2. Disconnect the battery for an hour, then try it.

Ok, as I mentioned in a previous thread, I changed my coolant yesterday. During the process I was running the engine with the heat maxed but I neglected to check the gas guage before I started it... I ended up running out of gas in my garage.

To get the car going again so I could get to the local gas station, I used some of the 87 octane gas for my lawnmower ( I was reluctant to do so but I didn't really have a choice :) ) The whole way there the car seemed pretty shakey and there were times where I had to keep the engine reving when stopped so I wouldn't stall. The check engine light was also on most of the way.

Since getting gas the car has had somewhat of a rought idle (it seems to come and go) and the check engine light has remained on. Could running out of gas, or suddenly running on that low octane fuel with my Nik block have caused some sort of problem? or is it more likely that I screwed someting up in replacing the coolant?

Thanks,
Dennis

wengenstein
11-06-2004, 01:28 PM
It's actually sitting disconnected right now, so we'll see :)

1. Fill the tank full with the best high octane fuel.

2. Disconnect the battery for an hour, then try it.

wengenstein
11-06-2004, 05:18 PM
Things seem straight now...although the check engine light did pop on once for a couple seconds after I started it up.

It's actually sitting disconnected right now, so we'll see :)