PDA

View Full Version : new kind of oem plastic waterpump?

nuwde
11-05-2004, 10:46 AM
hey guys,

i recently brought my car to my mechanic to change my thermostat and waterpump. i asked if i should get a metal one but he said that bmw made the plastic one better so it doesn't break as often. anyone hear anything about this? thanks for your input.

Edwin

tim
11-05-2004, 11:17 AM
Horse Hockey-

The BMW oem pump has a metal impeller that looks like it could survive a direct hit from a MOAB. The laso and others that use the plastic impeller are like Bush's foreign policy: just waiting to blow up in your face and cost a hundred billion more than you thought.

Tim

Torque
11-05-2004, 11:29 AM
i would go for the metal one... however strong that new plastic is, it can't be as strong as metal.

my 2c

632 Regal
11-05-2004, 11:31 AM
dont accept the plastic impeller one, the plastic slips on the shaft after a while and will cause it to overheat leading to a cracked head or worse.

nuwde
11-05-2004, 01:03 PM
I'm not sure what to do. He already put it on and verbally gauranteed it would last. He's also a mechanic for my parents' cars so I don't want to ruin the relationship at all. Should I just take his word for it and prove him wrong when it breaks. I could probably argue him to fix it for free or use the metal impellar. I would want to get in there and replace it myself but I am strapped for time these days. What would you do?
Thanks,

Edwin

tim
11-05-2004, 01:21 PM
Live with it I guess. It should last a coupla years.

Mr. BILL
11-05-2004, 03:43 PM
Get the "guarantee" in writing.

Mobius
11-05-2004, 04:21 PM
It sounds like it's a composite impeller - which is the style BMW is currently making. It's not plastic, like the awful old ones, but apparently the metal ones had problems, too - so they've moved to a third iteration of impeller pump design, and gone with a composite resin material.

http://www.bimmerfest.org/forums/showpost.php?p=466061&postcount=31

I'd assume this is the case, at least. I haven't read much about this with concern to the E34.

all2kool
11-05-2004, 06:19 PM
With a Metal Impellar Pump costing literally only a few dollars more, it is well worth the investment. Just had mine done three weeks ago.

nuwde
11-05-2004, 08:59 PM
thanks for that info. i believe it is the composite one. i guess that puts me a little bit more at ease. thanks guys!

Edwin