PDA

View Full Version : Transmission locks up when put in drive

Zander
11-04-2004, 06:27 PM
I have a 95 540I with an auto transmission that is locking up when I put the car in drive. I have to move the A/M switch to manual to unlock and back to auto to drive off. Once I am moving there is no problem. Any ideas what might be causing this? I took the car to the dealer and they wanted to replace the tranny (no thanks). This all seemed to start when I pressed the ASC switch and I am wondering if the breaks are being applied. I tried to hold down the switch untill it turns the asc system off but it made no diffrence. Also I am getting a Check Control when I shut the car off indicating some electronic default. Any ideas would help. I have been thinking maybe this is a tourqe converter problem? This started as an intermitent problem but has gotten worse. Also I took it to a tranny shop in town and they said as long as they had there machine hooked up to it the problem would not occur(not sure if this is the machine or the only happeneing sometimes).

Bill R.
11-04-2004, 08:42 PM
He'll be able to tell you what you need and sell you the parts.
Check here (http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e32/4532522-1.html)

I have a 95 540I with an auto transmission that is locking up when I put the car in drive. I have to move the A/M switch to manual to unlock and back to auto to drive off. Once I am moving there is no problem. Any ideas what might be causing this? I took the car to the dealer and they wanted to replace the tranny (no thanks). This all seemed to start when I pressed the ASC switch and I am wondering if the breaks are being applied. I tried to hold down the switch untill it turns the asc system off but it made no diffrence. Also I am getting a Check Control when I shut the car off indicating some electronic default. Any ideas would help. I have been thinking maybe this is a tourqe converter problem? This started as an intermitent problem but has gotten worse. Also I took it to a tranny shop in town and they said as long as they had there machine hooked up to it the problem would not occur(not sure if this is the machine or the only happeneing sometimes).

632 Regal
11-05-2004, 01:05 PM
link isnt working for me, anyways the problem is most likely that the balls in the valve body are sticking. There is a retrofit kit to solve this or you can buy the complete valve body with exchange for I think 300 bux, maybe 400 exchange.

Kirt Kohller:
(800)624-3876 ext 5735
or direct at (616)748-5735

Zander
11-05-2004, 04:39 PM
The rebuild kit is on the way.

Thanks a lot. Any help with the other issue (error 1213 when cold out)I opened a thread on would be great.