PDA

View Full Version : 1992 535I shifter light

Searcher1ca
11-04-2004, 12:25 PM
I own a 1992 535I with 199K klm(119,400mi) and the light that lights up the position of the gear shift is out. Obviously I remember the position but I want the position lighted to avoid any problems. The question now is how do I get to the light and change it. It an Automatic Gear shift. Any and all help would be very appreciated :)

ben wilamowski
11-04-2004, 12:33 PM
Quite easy,

You just undo the two screws at the top of the instrument binnacle, remove the lower dash panel and gently tease out the instrument binnacle, there is a lip at the top of the instrument binnacle which needs to be carefully released from the dash you will then be able to see where the bulb fits into the back of the instrument binnacle that lights up the gear shift light. Change for a new bulb and re-assemble.

PLease note if you have an adjustable steering column extend it fully and you will get enough clearance to take out the binnacle, otherwise you will need to remove the steering wheel.

If you have very nimble fingers you might just be able to do this without taking the instrument binnacle out of the dash.

Ben.

Searcher1ca
11-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Quite easy,

You just undo the two screws at the top of the instrument binnacle, remove the lower dash panel and gently tease out the instrument binnacle, there is a lip at the top of the instrument binnacle which needs to be carefully released from the dash you will then be able to see where the bulb fits into the back of the instrument binnacle that lights up the gear shift light. Change for a new bulb and re-assemble.

PLease note if you have an adjustable steering column extend it fully and you will get enough clearance to take out the binnacle, otherwise you will need to remove the steering wheel.

If you have very nimble fingers you might just be able to do this without taking the instrument binnacle out of the dash.

Ben.

Searcher1ca
11-04-2004, 12:39 PM
Hi there thank you for getting backto me so fast but maybe I was a little unclear. The shifter is on the floor between the seats.

Bill R.
11-04-2004, 01:42 PM
console here on his page, Once you get it up the bulb is right under the shift indicator... You're also supposed to have the shift indicator on the dash cluster on yours on the right side... Indicates p, d, n etc
Don Gales Page
(http://www.nmia.com/%7Edgnrg/page_13.htm)

Hi there thank you for getting backto me so fast but maybe I was a little unclear. The shifter is on the floor between the seats.

Searcher1ca
11-04-2004, 02:30 PM
console here on his page, Once you get it up the bulb is right under the shift indicator... You're also supposed to have the shift indicator on the dash cluster on yours on the right side... Indicates p, d, n etc
Don Gales Page
(http://www.nmia.com/%7Edgnrg/page_13.htm)
Thanks , this seems to be it, I didn't really notice the cluster not showing up. Thanks very much I'll have a look at it this weekend.