PDA

View Full Version : BMW Newbie - Just bought '97 528i!

Null Pointer
11-03-2004, 11:38 PM
Hey, it's my first post... :)

I've just bought a '97 528i with 75k miles. Looks to be in fantastic shape, and I'm looking forward to owning/driving this car for years to come.

I've got a couple questions that the forum could really help me with -
#1 - What should I be looking out for with this car? What are the common issues? What can I expect from it with this mileage?

#2 - My previous car had mp3 capability and this car has the stock radio/cassette system (no cd even). I see that there is support for an iPod plugin, which would be super cool. How can I tell if my car will support this? Is it possible to get it to display ID3 tags in the radio display? What are my options?

Thanks for your help!
Sam

Mr Project
11-04-2004, 12:20 AM
Congrats on your new car! Unfortunately, this forum mainly focuses on the E34 (1989-1995) generation 5-series.

Hopefully someone here will know the answers you are looking for....otherwise you might try:

www.roadfly.org
www.bimmerforums.com

bimmerd00d
11-04-2004, 12:34 AM
I believe the iPod system is only compatible on the 2002-2003 E39's. My mom has a 2000 528iA and i have done a little maintenance on the cooling system, it's very similar to the E34 525i as far as the engine goes. Congrats on the car though. Believe me, we've tried roadly.org :D bimmerforums seems to be good for non-technical things. I'd ask here first, as many of us have E34's as well as other model BMW's, then try roadfly. www.bmwtips.com

Warren N.CA
11-04-2004, 12:17 PM
E39 cars are noted for failure of the various electronic modules that the car is chock full of. These are non- field repairable, and must be replaced with new ones, at costs often several thousand Dollars, each.

Mike Miller, technical expert from BIMMER and ROUNDEL mags, states regularly in his columns that BMW autotrans units typcally fail somewhere between 80K and 120K. Factory reman units are available from dealers for several thousand Dollars.

Suggest you join BMWCCA. Then you'll get ROUNDEL, and can stay informed about problems/issues with your car. BIMMER is on the news stands.

I've just bought a '97 528i with 75k miles. Looks to be in fantastic shape, and I'm looking forward to owning/driving this car for years to come.

#1 - What should I be looking out for with this car? What are the common issues? What can I expect from it with this mileage?

#2 - My previous car had mp3 capability and this car has the stock radio/cassette system (no cd even). I see that there is support for an iPod plugin, which would be super cool. How can I tell if my car will support this? Is it possible to get it to display ID3 tags in the radio display? What are my options?

Thanks for your help!
Sam

Bill R.
11-04-2004, 01:53 PM
tips and tricks...Here (http://bmwtips.com/)

Thanks for your help!
Sam