PDA

View Full Version : Finally broke down and tightened the steering column nut

632 Regal
11-03-2004, 06:24 PM
not as bad as I thought to get the kick panel out correctly...since I attempted this once before I figured I could actually do it tonight. Got the panel off, grabbed the column and man was there a LOT of play. I looked at it while turning the wheel back and forth and could visibly see the wheel side turning and the steering side stay stationary, tightened her up and big difference. I havent driven it yet but I'm quite anxious. I have read on the difference this can make but couldnt believe that I would actually see visible play. Hopefully I lose another rattle down the old dirt road too!

PhilipJCaputo
11-03-2004, 11:33 PM
I finally tightened mine up last weekened.... I had tried in the past to tighten it, but it just seemed like it was SOOO tight already... but this time I didn't take no for an answer and got probably a good full turn out of the nut...

and it did make a noticable difference...

I'm still not rock solid in the steering... but I suppose there are still a few steering/suspension pieces I've not changed out yet

Derek A.
11-03-2004, 11:45 PM
Watch Out For Falling Road Signs !!!!!

632 Regal
11-05-2004, 06:21 PM
definetly a drastic improvement espicially on 2 lane asphalt roads. No more free wandering like its windy as hell. Very much more stable at highway speeds (85+) and a pleasure to drive again. Yeah I thought it was tight before too but a twist of the wheel with a 1 1/4 inch open end told me otherwise, I tightened until it was hard to push/pull the wheel in and out then loosened it about an eighth of a turn and good to go! Just like everyone else says when you do this project..."cant believe the difference".

:D

Oh and Derek, thats "flying" road signs!

mikemaster
11-05-2004, 10:01 PM
Don't ask why I figured this out, but you can adjust it with a pair of channel locks without taking off the panel. Just loosen the back, and you can slip them up in there and turn the steering wheel to tighten/loosen.

632 Regal
11-05-2004, 10:24 PM
I could do it in 15 minutes max now...hindsight....id be rich.

Bryan Miami
11-06-2004, 06:48 PM
I could do it in 15 minutes max now...hindsight....id be rich.

Hi Regal, I inherited my Mom's '90 e34, 190,000 and still very tight. There is a cluinky kinda chunky noise when I back out of my space in the morning...is this something a wanna be mechanic can do? Sounds like this migth resolve the problem...

JoeS
11-06-2004, 09:16 PM
not as bad as I thought to get the kick panel out correctly...since I attempted this once before I figured I could actually do it tonight. Got the panel off, grabbed the column and man was there a LOT of play. I looked at it while turning the wheel back and forth and could visibly see the wheel side turning and the steering side stay stationary, tightened her up and big difference. I havent driven it yet but I'm quite anxious. I have read on the difference this can make but couldnt believe that I would actually see visible play. Hopefully I lose another rattle down the old dirt road too!

632 Regal
11-07-2004, 12:18 PM
is more likely loose steering componants, does it do this just when you tap the brake when backing up?

632 Regal
11-07-2004, 12:18 PM