PDA

View Full Version : E34 540 damper replacement???

ben wilamowski
11-03-2004, 12:19 PM
Hi Guys,

Have got my five back now and she is running really sweet,

Will do a full update when I have more time but I was just wondering does anyone know what is involved in replacing front dampers?

Can I replace the struts with everything else still on the car?

ie. is it possible to just withdraw the strut cartridge through the top of the strut tower?

She is a 1994 model 540i with full M-Tech sports suspension fitted from the factory.

Cheers

Ben.

632 Regal
11-03-2004, 12:52 PM
the whole strut housing has to be removed to change the shocks in front.

Jon K
11-03-2004, 02:07 PM
the whole strut housing has to be removed to change the shocks in front.

Actually it doesnt... but it isn't going to save you time removing the strut retainer thru the spring, compressing the spring somewhat, removing the strut hat... all while on the car.

632 Regal
11-03-2004, 04:16 PM
Actually it doesnt... but it isn't going to save you time removing the strut retainer thru the spring, compressing the spring somewhat, removing the strut hat... all while on the car.

Jon K
11-03-2004, 06:35 PM
Almost but its not impossible.

bimmerd00d
11-03-2004, 06:57 PM
it is indeed possible, but you have NO room to compress the spring correctly.

632 Regal
11-03-2004, 06:58 PM
mattering what kind of spring compressor you have would probably make the most difference. The ones I have are tough enough to get the spring down enough to get the nut back on top.

Maybe if you loosen the thrust and control arms you could possibly get some more room to mess around with it, but then again I wouldnt want to waste all that time when you could simply loosen 3 more bolts and do it on a bench or the floor and have ample access.