PDA

View Full Version : Help-525 headlights and odometer are strobing

525PA
11-03-2004, 06:15 AM
Any ideas whaI drive a 1992 525i

Recently I've noticed my odometer LED, clock LED, and headlights "strobing" (flashing alternately bright and dim) after I've been driving for a few minutes.

It doesn't happen right away, only after the car warms up.

It appears to speed up the faster I go. It''s not a framatic strobing, but it's definitely noticeable.

I brought this up to a BMW mechanic, and he said it *might* be my alternator. He said that woudl cost me almost $500 (with labor). He also said it could be the alternator "overcharging" or "undercharging".

Any comments, ideas, or suggestions on how to fix this appreciated.

I'm on the SF Bay Peninsula. I'd also love to find a private, reasonably priced mechanic anywhere on the mid-Peninsula. If the guy really knows Bimmers and works out of his garage, that's OK - as long as s/he's competent, and is reasonably priced. Shop labor rates around here are approaching $100 per hour, and up - I'm tired of that.

Phil Sanderson
11-03-2004, 03:38 PM
I can't help you with a mechanic, but $500 for an alternator sounds like a rip-off. I would take the car to an Auto-Electrician to have the battery and charging system checked for sure. The low-bright dash lights sounds to me like a battery that is on it's last legs.

regards
Phil