PDA

View Full Version : EAT vs. Dinan racing chips questions--535i

Dash01
11-02-2004, 12:26 PM
A couple of questions:

1. How do EAT chips (considered by most to be the best for 535i) compare with Dinan "racing" chips as sold on eBay?

2. For the 535i, is the EAT chip for automatic transmission exactly the same as the EAT chip for manual transmission?

winfred
11-02-2004, 01:15 PM
i run a eat 535ia chip and i love it, never tried a dinan 535 chip. i just installed a eat chip in my 325ism inplace of a dinan and it whips the dinan's ass, and i haven't had a chance to tweek some of my other mods for the improvment

AllanS
11-02-2004, 02:27 PM
Buying a chip from ebay is sort of a gamble- it'll most likely be a copy, and you won't really know what of. And you won't get any Dinan points towards a trunk badge :)

I have the Dinan chip, but I have no point of comparison. I avg. 16-17mpg, mostly around town driving. People seem to like the EAT chips; if my car didn't come with the Dinan chip already installed I would've bought one.

Jeff N.
11-02-2004, 03:20 PM
I've had the following: EAT, Conforti, Dinan and Racing Dynamics. The EAT and Conforti and clearly the best. EAT is a better value and Mark D, author of the EAT chip is a regular visitor and supporter of this forum.

I'd recommend the EAT chip.

Jeff

bahnstormer
11-02-2004, 06:33 PM
i ordered a EAT chip for my 535ia and my 535im
i asked mark to keep the stock rev limiter on the auto
and raise the one on the 5spd.

the dinan chips on ebay are crap, prolly not even real
let alone tuned properly and overpriced

Dash01
11-03-2004, 02:30 AM
So, is the EAT chip for automatic transmission the exact same as the EAT chip for manual tranny?

kainoahemolele
11-03-2004, 10:27 PM
I have another question. How easy it it to put these chips in myself? Consider that I've never worked on a car before in my entire life. I figure I'd start with a beemer. Is it as simple as opening up the computer tupperware box, pulling one chip out like a memory card (like a digital camera) and sticking another one in? I don't have to buy a soldering gun do I? Further, where would I buy a bona fide EAT chip? Can anyone post a link? No one mentioned that earlier in this thread.
So far I got it that the chips on eBay are all **** and that EAT chips are the way to go.
Thanks again guys,
JT

winfred
11-03-2004, 10:30 PM
this outta cover it
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/chip.htm

I have another question. How easy it it to put these chips in myself? Consider that I've never worked on a car before in my entire life. I figure I'd start with a beemer. Is it as simple as opening up the computer tupperware box, pulling one chip out like a memory card (like a digital camera) and sticking another one in? I don't have to buy a soldering gun do I? Further, where would I buy a bona fide EAT chip? Can anyone post a link? No one mentioned that earlier in this thread.
So far I got it that the chips on eBay are all **** and that EAT chips are the way to go.
Thanks again guys,
JT

kainoahemolele
11-04-2004, 09:47 PM
this outta cover it
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/chip.htm

MAHALO for that!