PDA

View Full Version : damn crappy @ss vc gasket, looks like the german castrol (aka SLX) experiment.....

ryan roopnarine
11-02-2004, 12:57 AM
is over. in the past week, the motor has lost about 1 qt of oil, likely through the valve cover gasket (there's a trail from there down to the headers, past the tensioner). that one week represents about 700 miles driving and about 20 hours of continuous motor operation. ill figure out the exact mileage later, but it looks like the motor went 5100 miles using up only .2 quart of oil, including a massive amount of time idling! i think i'll probably take a sample and hide it in the dark until my transport bottle gets here from the analysis company. i hope it turns out well, if so, it means that one can use a fat 30 weight in a healthy m50 (spec'd for much fatter oils) and come out with decent metal wears. the oil i was using was german castrol syntec 0w30, which is sold in europe and australia as castrol SLX. i was really hoping to test it at 6500 miles elapsed, but i guess this will have to do now, as i'm not likely to find a bottle of the GC in the town that i live in, which means either mixing with dino or mobil 1 :^(

cary
11-02-2004, 11:19 AM
I can save you the UOA. The wear numbers will be fine. GC is so close to the border of being a 40weight and is an A3 oil, that it can be safely run. Where are you that you can't find a quart?

Cary

ryan roopnarine
11-02-2004, 11:37 AM
the only reason i wanted the UOA is that this car is being run in the extremes of extreme service. the only way there could be a e34 being run harder than this is now is if there's a police car e34 driver on the board that i don't know about (or maybe a cab). its work related. i wanted to see what's left after its been beaten down by possibly 500 hours of idle/stop and go time.

i'm in gainesville, fl. ive checked both autozones here, they both have american made 0w30. walmart used to have it, but they stopped about a month ago. i have to drive to orlando to get some, likely.

billb
11-02-2004, 12:48 PM
the only reason i wanted the UOA is that this car is being run in the extremes of extreme service. the only way there could be a e34 being run harder than this is now is if there's a police car e34 driver on the board that i don't know about (or maybe a cab). its work related. i wanted to see what's left after its been beaten down by possibly 500 hours of idle/stop and go time.

i'm in gainesville, fl. ive checked both autozones here, they both have american made 0w30. walmart used to have it, but they stopped about a month ago. i have to drive to orlando to get some, likely.

ryan roopnarine
11-02-2004, 12:55 PM
i'll admit to my sins with a picture when i resign from there, which will be shortly.....i don't think i could bear the ridicule right now :p

for now, i drive for monsieu Soprano and his waste disposal business :)

winfred
11-02-2004, 01:09 PM
transport driver for a sperm bank?

Dick Schneiders
11-02-2004, 01:57 PM
i'll admit to my sins with a picture when i resign from there, which will be shortly.....i don't think i could bear the ridicule right now :p

for now, i drive for monsieu Soprano and his waste disposal business :)

632 Regal
11-02-2004, 02:09 PM
transport driver for a sperm bank?

ryan roopnarine
11-02-2004, 02:24 PM
haw haw haw.....gwb's driver, person of indeterminate ethnicity, driving a kraut car, with a unloaded rooskie pistol. .....i'll be stealin all the letter J's F's and K's from the WH computers come 11pm PST tonite. don't think that would work......

cary
11-02-2004, 03:53 PM
Ryan, I don't know if there is someone closer to you, but I can go by my local autozone (which had GC last time I was there) and drop a few quarts in the mail if it would help.

Cary

Brian C.
11-02-2004, 08:08 PM
:p

ryan roopnarine
11-02-2004, 11:29 PM
Ryan, I don't know if there is someone closer to you, but I can go by my local autozone (which had GC last time I was there) and drop a few quarts in the mail if it would help.

Cary

thanks for the offer, but i go to orlando about once every 4-6 weeks, so i'll probably just take a sample of it, fix the gasket, put a quart of m1 0w40 in until 7k miles is up, and run some delvac 1300 15w40 until i'm sure that it isn't going to leak again. thens and only thens will i put the green sauce back in :D