PDA

View Full Version : Re: Post By 'ExcessPlay' last week

Robin-535im
11-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Regarding post http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?p=43602

Well guys since I am new to my E34 and already know I need to get into the front end and replace a few, dozen things, can someone give me a reasonable shopping list so I to can feel this snugged down ride?

Thanks

First, if it's your steering that feels loose, check out Bruno's site for a procedure for tracking that down. E34 steering can be rock solid if you adjust it right.

Second, if you're ready to buy new parts, here's my shopping list for turning that E34 into a rock-solid go-kart:
Round One:
1) Upper control arms w/750 bushings ($160/pair at BMA)
2) Springs ($200) Sway bars ($250) and Shocks ($400) - look on Bruno's site for some different brands. Ask 3 people and you'll get 4 opinions... my opinion is that BavAuto lowering springs are too soft for their height but other than that the're all pretty good. Eibach, H&R, Racing Dynamics, Sachs, M-Tech, all fine. Shocks - I recommend Bilsteins. Sways - again, get thick, adjustable ones (Dinan, Racing Dynamics, M-Tech(non adj)) and you'll be fine.
3) sway links in front ($40)
4) Upper shock mounts in rear ($20?)
5) Pitman arms in rear ($80?)
6) Guibo/center bearing ($70 for both)
7) Tranny ($13) and engine ($75) mounts
8) 16" or 17" rims ($how much you got?$)
9) top it all off with a expert, road-force balance and alignment ($75)

Round Two:
10) Rear subframe bushings, diff mount, trailing arm bushings, diff carrier bushings. About $200 in bushings, maybe $400 in labor if you take it somewhere so think about doing it yourself. This is what I have planned for my car, having done Round One already.
11) Steering link Idler Arm if there's play in it ($13)
12) Front end ball joints if there's play

That's my list. Anyone else? Oh yeah - be sure to swap out that tired old BMW engine for a fresh new Malibu one. They're blazing fast!

HTH

Robin

infinity5
11-01-2004, 01:36 PM
Oh yeah - be sure to swap out that tired old BMW engine for a fresh new Malibu one. They're blazing fast!

HTH

Robin

ahahah
i think someone needs to post some info on switching out the engines.. i was going to do it this weekend but i'm not too sure what to do with all those wires!