PDA

View Full Version : OT - Over tightened drain plug on wife's Cougar

dave b
10-31-2004, 05:55 PM
I had this same problem last time. The oil drain plug is tight as hell. The bolt began to round before it would budge so I stopped turning. I took it to a Jiffy Lube place to see if they could use a breaker bar on it, they tried and said it's way too tight to move and they didn't want to round it any more than I had.

What should be my course of action when I go to the dealer? Last time my wife went there, they told her that it wasn't too tight and should come off no problem. I gave it one good pull and stopped when I felt it round, I'll admit that, but no drain plug should be that tight. What causes the plug to be that tight? Just overtightening or will road dirt and grime compound it?

Thanks,
Dave

winfred
10-31-2004, 06:13 PM
usually it's somebody that has no clue overtightning the hell out of it, generally theres some kind of seal rubber o-ring in a slot in the plug or copper/aluiminum washer that does not requier a **** load of force to get it to seal up, id get a new plug and remove the old plug with a pair of large vice grips, get the grips on good and tight and wack them with a hammer/block of wood, a sharp quick movement will be more productive then a slow long pull, if the vice grips fail a small monkey wrench with a cheater pipe on it would be my next try, get a good bite and give a good strong pull

632 Regal
10-31-2004, 06:15 PM
maybe hers didnt? The main cause of being too tight to remove is over tightening in the first place. You might be able to loosen it with a pipe wrench?

winfred
10-31-2004, 06:23 PM
maybe hers didnt? The main cause of being too tight to remove is over tightening in the first place. You might be able to loosen it with a pipe wrench?

dave b
10-31-2004, 06:40 PM
It's got a rubber gasket on it. I'm taking it there in about 2 weeks, so I don't care what they have to do to get it off; I'm more concerned with giving them a piece of my mind since this is the 2nd time this has happened.

Thanks for the help