PDA

View Full Version : Starter motor won't turn off- can it be fixed or throw away?

John 535is (Sydney)
10-31-2004, 04:32 PM
The solenoid on the starter appears to not be engaging correctly, so after withdrawing the key, the starter motor is still spinning without engaging. If you give it a (gentle) thump with a non genuine tool (steel bar) it stops and, with some luck everything works the next time starting is attempted. Can the starter motors be easily repaired or is a replacement part easier?

John 535is Sydney - 1989 (M30) Alpine white, black recaro, HIOP, Bilstien, EAT, 17" BBS.

632 Regal
10-31-2004, 04:47 PM
I personally would get a replacement starter, never can tell when it will leave you stranded.

John 535is (Sydney)
10-31-2004, 05:39 PM
Yep- I intend on getting it fixed, for some reason seeing the hood up on a BMW with the owner hitting something inside the engine bay with a steal pole is amusing to other drivers. Go figure!

I was just wondering if its something simple or not worth trying to dismantle.

Sorry to read about the damage to your car.

John 535is

632 Regal
10-31-2004, 05:46 PM
I dont know whats available on your side of the pond. Do a little research on who has a better rebuild rating, wouldnt want to do this more than one time. :D

Phil Sanderson
10-31-2004, 05:47 PM
is the same unit as used in a Mitsubishi Magna (early model). Much cheaper to buy from Mitsubishi Dealer than BMW Dealer I'm told, but you maybe can get your one repaired.

Phil

632 Regal
10-31-2004, 05:47 PM
I dont know whats available on your side of the pond. Do a little research on who has a better rebuild rating, wouldnt want to do this more than one time. :D

winfred
10-31-2004, 05:52 PM
could be some rust or clutch dust crudding it up, the solonoid is really just a piston in a bore surounded with a coil

John 535is (Sydney)
10-31-2004, 08:02 PM
Thanks Winfred, I'll take it off and try to blow some air through it.

John

John 535is (Sydney)
10-31-2004, 08:03 PM
is the same unit as used in a Mitsubishi Magna (early model). Much cheaper to buy from Mitsubishi Dealer than BMW Dealer I'm told, but you maybe can get your one repaired.

Phil

ryan roopnarine
10-31-2004, 08:59 PM
if you have a TIS cd, there are step by step picture instructions for starter rebuilding on it for an e34.....you might just need to lube the solenoid and be OK with it.

winfred
10-31-2004, 09:30 PM
i wouldn't take apart the main body of the starter on a newer style bosch, theres lots of small pieces of broken plastic that are a bitch to get back together, it's amazing that they still work with the crumbled bits. it's usually 3 + screws holding the solonoid on, id sand the piston clean and clean out the bore, grease the pivot points but leave the piston clean, it may get gummed up with the grease

if you have a TIS cd, there are step by step picture instructions for starter rebuilding on it for an e34.....you might just need to lube the solenoid and be OK with it.

John 535is (Sydney)
11-01-2004, 12:57 AM
i wouldn't take apart the main body of the starter on a newer style bosch, theres lots of small pieces of broken plastic that are a bitch to get back together, it's amazing that they still work with the crumbled bits. it's usually 3 + screws holding the solonoid on, id sand the piston clean and clean out the bore, grease the pivot points but leave the piston clean, it may get gummed up with the grease