PDA

View Full Version : 89 525i 94K's niggling problems

ken
10-31-2004, 08:02 AM
Hi,
I am new to the forum and just have a few concerns with my 5er.

1) It has a very loud exhaust that rattles under the car, especially when I accelerate. Someone told me that I may have a loose stud on the exhaust manifold, could this be the case? It is an import from Japan and comes up with the Catalyst - check engine everytime I start the car, could this have anything to do with it.

2) It has a fairly substantial engine leak right under the center or rear of the block but this only occurs when the car is on steep incline. Could this be oil in the catchment or maybe a leak from the rear main seal? I don't think it even leaks at all on the flat or down hill (maybe a few drops) just on a steep incline.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx

Dan in NZ
10-31-2004, 05:20 PM
It was "Catalyst - Owners Handbook" on mine, but this is just a thermo switch in the exhaust. You can disable this warning by removing a relay from under the seat. Mine had a high temperature, and "thermo-something" written on the side... It's taller than a normal relay, and yellow in colour. I was told it's just something japanese cars had to have for legislative reasons, removing the relay doesn't affect the car at all.

I had broken exhaust manifold studs when I got my car, not sure how that happens, but did quieten down noise from the front when i had it fixed.

ken
10-31-2004, 07:15 PM
Cool, thanks for that.
Roughly how much did it cost you to get the exhaust manifold studs fixed?

Danny
11-04-2004, 07:12 AM
Had a similer problem where rattle seemed to come from underneath the car near the drivers area. Got my local BM agent to look at it eventually and it turned out to be the catalitic converter which was old and they said the plates inside were rattling.

Hope it turns out to be something else caus they aint cheap.

Hi,
I am new to the forum and just have a few concerns with my 5er.

1) It has a very loud exhaust that rattles under the car, especially when I accelerate. Someone told me that I may have a loose stud on the exhaust manifold, could this be the case? It is an import from Japan and comes up with the Catalyst - check engine everytime I start the car, could this have anything to do with it.

2) It has a fairly substantial engine leak right under the center or rear of the block but this only occurs when the car is on steep incline. Could this be oil in the catchment or maybe a leak from the rear main seal? I don't think it even leaks at all on the flat or down hill (maybe a few drops) just on a steep incline.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx

ScarletParadigm
11-13-2005, 10:53 AM
I also have a 89 525i auto from Japan with Catalyst showing on display. I have changed the O2 sensor to no effect. My next option was the catalytic converter, but I noticed what appears to be another O2 sensor mounted behind the catalytic converter. I wonder if it is the thermo switch Dan talks about.. I'll try his fix with the relay under the back seat, if I can find it.