PDA

View Full Version : Is it necessary to remove the bracket when changing exhaust hanger (figure 8)?

Anton CH.
10-30-2004, 07:00 PM
I am want to replace (the old one ripped!) the plastic rubber mounting ring in the back of exhaust (it looks like a number 8). Initally I inteded to just slip the new one. It's a little tough though, is it nessary to remove the bracket that is bolted to the car first to do this?

mikemaster
10-30-2004, 10:07 PM
If you're talking about the rubber donuts on the back, you don't have to take the hanger off. You can work the new one on. I think I got it started on the top first, then the bottom. (sort of roll it on) If that doesn't work, taking it off is an option. Good luck.

Mobius
10-31-2004, 03:36 AM
I tossed my jack and a 2x4 under the exhaust to lift it in place - helped a lot.

Anton CH.
10-31-2004, 01:39 PM
Did you lift it all the way until the two plates made contact?

Mobius
10-31-2004, 01:59 PM
Eh, just enough to slip the hanger on.

Jeff N.
10-31-2004, 02:17 PM
Pulled my 535 exhaust too many times to count. Martin has convinced me it's MUCH simpler to not try to 'unhook' the donut hangers in the middle. Simpler to undo the nut above that holds the donut hanger brackets and then push the bracket back/forward with a screwdriver. If you use a small 1/4 socket wrench, it's simple to undo the nut.

I never could find a good way to undo those donuts. Tried the jack method, screwdrivers, you name it. All I did was curse those *%# tabs and tear the hangers.

Undoing the bracket nut is muuuuch simpler.

Jeff