PDA

View Full Version : New BMW Owner! 1990 535i vibration Q?

Guelphguy
10-30-2004, 05:13 PM
Hi there all!! Earlier this week I totalled my GTP hitting a 200lb deer so I decided to try something different and bought a 1990 BMW 535i, black, stored winters in good shape with 170,000kms (canada) on it. My question is that I had to jump on the car as it was a private sale and the price was a steal. My only concern is that at idle there is a good vibration felt through-out the car and then at HEAVY acceleration I can also feel the vibration. Feels somewhat driveline related? At normal acceleration it is fine and cruising it is fine so really it is there at idle and under heavy load. Any ideas where I should start looking??? Thanks!!

Paul in NZ
10-30-2004, 05:33 PM
nothing but pure conjecture,but at idle AND hard acelleration,they cant be related.The only thing that comes to mind is the dual mass flywheel,but i would think that it would make its presence felt at all engine speeds.

MicahO
10-31-2004, 06:11 AM
nothing but pure conjecture,but at idle AND hard acelleration,they cant be related.The only thing that comes to mind is the dual mass flywheel,but i would think that it would make its presence felt at all engine speeds.

It may be two different vibrations - but with one vibration being felt at idle - I'd start there, it's probably the easy one.

Start out ith new motor and tranny mounts. Swapping those on my 535 a few years ago made the car feel incredibly different - one of the mounts was original, and collapsed. Taking all that vibration out of the body madea huge change.

Hopefully, when that's done, the poweretrain will be better suspended and the vibe under load will also evaporate.

mholbrook
10-31-2004, 09:27 AM
Check and replace the two or three vacuum lines. One goes to the fuel pressure regulator and the other goes to something on the manifold by the top of the valve cover. Both connect under the manifold pretty much as close to the driver side bottom of the manifold as possible. You should be able to feel them if you stick your hand under there.

Get a valve adjustment or do it yourself. Run some injection cleaner through the tank. Use about two or three times regular strengh. In other words, two or three bottles with 1/2 tank of gas. Change the oil after you do this with 10-40 winter in Canada, 20-50 summer.

For the other vibration, it could well be your drive shaft. You should check the bushings on the upper control arms (thrust arms) and replace if necessary. HAVE YOUR TIRES CHECKED AND BALANCED. Many times it is tire related. Rotate them when you do this as it may make a difference too.

Hope this helps and good luck. You seem to have stumbled on one of the worlds finest sedans and taken care of it will reward you well.