PDA

View Full Version : CD changer power connector? (95-525iT)

Rob Edwards
10-30-2004, 05:02 PM
I purchased a Pioneer CDX-M90 from another member on the board here and finally got around to looking at the connections on the changer and the pre-wired connections in the car:

http://webfiles.uci.edu/redwards/public/BMW%20CD%20changer%20connections%2010-30-04.jpg

I've got a BMWPIO cable on order, so we'll worry about that when it arrives (and it's got 2 female connections, or whatever...)

So- where can I source an adaptor or a new 3 pin connector that I can splice which will fit the power pins on the changer? Any clue as to which is the +12V pin and the ground pin on the changer? (We'll go out on a limb and assume the pinouts are the same as a CDX-M30). Thanks for any input!

all2kool
10-30-2004, 06:17 PM
I purchased a Pioneer CDX-M90 from another member on the board here and finally got around to looking at the connections on the changer and the pre-wired connections in the car:

http://webfiles.uci.edu/redwards/public/BMW%20CD%20changer%20connections%2010-30-04.jpg

I've got a BMWPIO cable on order, so we'll worry about that when it arrives (and it's got 2 female connections, or whatever...)

So- where can I source an adaptor or a new 3 pin connector that I can splice which will fit the power pins on the changer? Any clue as to which is the +12V pin and the ground pin on the changer? (We'll go out on a limb and assume the pinouts are the same as a CDX-M30). Thanks for any input!

After the hell I went through, I think I have answers for you. You will need the BMWPIO that you have ordered. You will also need a data cable that plugs into the changer and then into the BMWPIO and then into the factory harness you are holding in your hand. As for the power connection, you will want to modify it - one way is with butt connecters. Butt connecters are about one inch long and crimp at either end - as in joining two pieces of wire. Available at at any auto parts store. They make perfect push-on power connections. You'll want 12 guage if I remember correctly. I believe, but do not quote me on this, that the outer connection on the changer is hot, the inner is ground, the middle is ignored. Get confirmation first because if you blow a fuse, you'll need the code for the radio and will have to pull up the rear seat to replace the fuse. I finally have CD tunes in the 525i - see my earlier post. Good luck.