PDA

View Full Version : hunting idle and 1222 stomp code

carolina525
10-30-2004, 11:49 AM
the code is so vague and all encompassing (faulty injector... vacuum leak) I think I have checked all the vacuum lines... are there any that are easily missed that I may not be able to readily see... or does anyone out there know of any common causes to the rough idle and the 1222 code? By the way I just installed a new head on the car so most of the engine has been in pieces and was just put back together (there are no extra parts so I think I got everything together properly).

billb
10-30-2004, 02:33 PM
the code is so vague and all encompassing (faulty injector... vacuum leak) I think I have checked all the vacuum lines... are there any that are easily missed that I may not be able to readily see... or does anyone out there know of any common causes to the rough idle and the 1222 code? By the way I just installed a new head on the car so most of the engine has been in pieces and was just put back together (there are no extra parts so I think I got everything together properly).

same exact symptoms...1222 and rough idle. Turned out to be Mass Airflow Sensor. Used one inbound, expected today. Hoping to install and get back on the road. I confirmed this was the cause by borrowing ScottyWM's MAF last week from his '93 525iT, and my car ran great with his MAF, and crappy with mine. Everything else checked out okay, and I replaced FPR and O2 sensor with no improvement, so see if you can eliminate the easily swapped stuff first. If you end up needing a MAF, I know a spot in Kansas that has a used one for $75 delivered. A lot cheaper than a new one ($255 is the cheapest new I found).

Good luck!