PDA

View Full Version : OT: anyone have anything disparaging to say about Makarov/CZ/Nagant pistols?

ryan roopnarine
10-29-2004, 02:19 PM
like that a certain model will explode if stock firing pin is not replaced with brand x firing pin within Y shots? or that one has exceptionally cheap ammo compared to the others? i'm willing to pay the 12 a box for 50 of the cz52 7.62x25, i'm not willing, however, to pay $20 a box for ammunition. i'm basing the price on the box of .38 special from walmart for between 7-9 dollars. TIA.

cary
10-29-2004, 03:43 PM
I know the CZ and Makarovs quality is fine, the newer CZ's are great guns. Don't know about the Nagant. While the Russian pistols have traditionally not had the best finishes, they have been functionally solid guns. I would avoid any non standard round, you never know when the ammo supply will dry up. Stick with things like .25ACP, .32ACP, 380, 9mm, which many of these pistols came chambered in. For my money I would look for a newer CZ in 40 or 45 cal, good price and much better finish.

winfred
10-29-2004, 07:53 PM
the exploding russian guns were usually auto loaders chambered in 7.62x54 (a russian 30.06 basicly) the problem was soft non military primers in domestic loadings, the military primers in russian ammo are built with a much harder metal cup, as the bolt slams forward into the case inertia carys the firing pin into the primer, with the soft primers there was a chance that the round would detonate out of battery (before the round is fully chambered and the bolt locks) which is a bad thing. i have not herd anything bad about russian pistols, now japonese pistols are dangerous and shitty, had one with a split barrel that didnt look like it had a dozen rounds (luger looken one can't remember the type) and that little black bastard with the exposed sear (can and will fire with the safety on with very little pressure to the side of the receiver above the grip). ps they usually fixed the 7.62x54's with the addition of a spring on the firing pin

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-29-2004, 08:06 PM
I like to stay away from the Eastern Block stuff, that 7.62 bottle neck round is not widely sold. Repair parts always require some fitting and some of the pistols require a press to change the barrel.

I just stick to the Walther PPK, and a .45 1911 combat model. lots of parts and ammo evreywhere.

ryan roopnarine
10-30-2004, 10:11 AM
here's the proposal from somebody i'm itching to buy one from:

1970s cz52

bulgarian

military issued, IE the holster has writing on it, but he says that it likely didn't get put into service because the sliding surfaces really don't show much wear at all

grips have moderate wear, but are on tight (no wiggle/play)

barrel end is smooth as fcuk, pretty damn smooth compared to many other czs i saw (and they weren't in bad condition)

pretty decent finish on the top parts

takes 7.62x25mm ammunition

comes with holster, extra magazine, some field cleaning stuff, and (i believe) some type of english manual

he wants--$165, which includes fl sales tax, background check, paperwork
he sells the 7.62 for $14 for a box of 70 rounds, says if i buy the gun, i can have a box for $12

what do you all think?

winfred
10-30-2004, 01:57 PM
sounds ok, that should be varly hot ammo too

Suede
10-30-2004, 03:17 PM
9 x 18 mm Makarov's shoot great and are extremely reliable.

Great design, basically a PPK copy. Easy to clean.

Here in CA you can get an unissued Bulgarian for $159. Best gun value going.

Ammo is has gotten scarcer lately, so when you buy it, buy alot.

More classic lines than the CZ 52, to my eye.

Learn all you want at makarov.com

Suede

winfred
10-30-2004, 09:02 PM
that's what russian and bulgarian ones go for around here, east german's go for $10-20 more and most i've seen are a little nicer on average, ammo's not hard to come by around here, not sure what it goes for as i've never owned one, i don't have any loading data on 9x18 to see how it stacks up against 380 acp and 9mm aka 9 luger/9x19 in raw #s i like my .38 super for what i do in competition, little recoil and plenty of ass, 9mm and less don't do too good in bowling pins

9 x 18 mm Makarov's shoot great and are extremely reliable.

Great design, basically a PPK copy. Easy to clean.

Here in CA you can get an unissued Bulgarian for $159. Best gun value going.

Ammo is has gotten scarcer lately, so when you buy it, buy alot.

More classic lines than the CZ 52, to my eye.

Learn all you want at makarov.com

Suede

Derek A.
10-31-2004, 01:19 PM
If you are looking for a PPK knockoff - There is a company called FEG and they make a model called the SMC-380. I carry one on a regular basis, said to be a bit better than the current crop of PPK"s. The Feg is a lot les expensive and I have yet to have a problem with mine.

http://home.att.net/~royolsenjr/smc380.gif

ryan roopnarine
10-31-2004, 03:07 PM
baby pictures:

i pick it up thursday, after the waiting period clears
i shall name her either the ugly duckling, the old maid, or latrine :D

http://plaza.ufl.edu/rroopnar/PA310025.JPG

http://plaza.ufl.edu/rroopnar/PA310026.JPG

winfred
10-31-2004, 05:28 PM
heres my FEG .380, and for a little extra spice my .32 ortgies a nice little piece
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/fegortgies.JPG
waiting period that sucks, what if you want to shoot somebody right now?! instant nics check got rid of that crap around here, if uncle sam says you can have it it goes home with you now

If you are looking for a PPK knockoff - There is a company called FEG and they make a model called the SMC-380. I carry one on a regular basis, said to be a bit better than the current crop of PPK"s. The Feg is a lot les expensive and I have yet to have a problem with mine.

http://home.att.net/~royolsenjr/smc380.gif