PDA

View Full Version : strange noise from between engine and transmission, any ideas?

spddmn713
10-28-2004, 10:56 AM
I have a 1990 535i with a manual tranny swap. The transmission is from a 525. I did not do the swap it was already done when I bought the car. I have a strange rattle type noise mostly at idle. When the car is put in gear and starts to move the noise lessens, but still gives me a little rattle for a second and as engine rpm increases the noise goes away. The noise sometimes comes back right when you start second gear. The engine seems to be very strong and does not use any oil (which really impresses me considering the car has 188k miles on it). I am kind of at a loss, I thought that the flywheel may be loose because you can hear the noise the loudest with a stethoscope right where the starter engages the flywheel. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

632 Regal
10-28-2004, 11:11 AM
clutch fork? Throw out bearing worn?

spddmn713
10-28-2004, 11:16 AM
Would there be any problems between the mating of the M30 and the M20 transmission, I know that the gear ratios are only very very very slightly different.