PDA

View Full Version : alignment after control arms & shock replace?

tim
10-28-2004, 10:24 AM
Should I just take it to the stealer?

Bill R.
10-28-2004, 10:26 AM
area who could do just as good if not better a job... On second thought i would call the dealer and ask them how much it costs for an alignment. If they are in line with independant front end and alignment shops then by all means use the dealer.

Should I just take it to the stealer?

tim
10-28-2004, 10:29 AM
Thx Bill, I'll ask around. Is Midas totally out of the question?

Bill R.
10-28-2004, 10:37 AM
front ends and alignments rather than midas... but who knows you may have a midas in your town with a really good alignment guy (but i wouldn't count on it)

Thx Bill, I'll ask around. Is Midas totally out of the question?

Scott C
10-28-2004, 05:14 PM
front ends and alignments rather than midas... but who knows you may have a midas in your town with a really good alignment guy (but i wouldn't count on it)

Call around, quite a few places won't touch a BMW....

Scott

tim
10-28-2004, 08:21 PM
Update: Got it going nicely. Independent gave me the name of a shop that they all send out to. $35. Guy was relieved to not be doing a japanese car. It came out pretty much right on spec, as he barely had to adjust toe. Drove a mile home in a straight line barely touching the wheel.

Car is so sweet. 75k and I've replaced all the suspension components to OEM spec, making improvements such as the 750 bushings (I like boge's, so sue me.) Its a relief to back in my car after two days in my wife's audi. Yeah, sure the quattro is fun to throw into a curve, the 540i has a great "squat" to it when you floor it at an apex.

BTW, my old thrust arms and control arms are up for grabs, for a reasonable fee. The Uppers are still useable as is, but the lowers need to be redone. Let me know if you want a pic.