PDA

View Full Version : Engine won't start/run

Yoakim
10-28-2004, 03:20 AM
Hi

I have a 84 520i with a mileage of 86000 miles. There has been a strange problem with starting about 5-6 months now until the car made a total stop a couple of weeks ago.

The problem has occurred quite rarely and I have always been able to start the car after restarting a couple of times. There has been no major other problems - engine has run smoothly etc.

The fuel pump was changed and the fuel filter. I have also changed the plugs and still the car won't start. The engine has only run about 1-2 seconds as if it doesn't get fuel - that's why the fuel pump was replaced. After the first starting attempt the engine hasn't run at all so I guess there has only been pressure enough to make some fuel go to the engine. However, after changing the fuel pump the engine won't run even that 1-2 seconds.

So what could be wrong? Has anyone got similar symptoms and what has been the solution for the problem? I guess I have to have the car towed to a repair shop... And if they decide to change all possible parts to get the engine running it might be expensive.

Jose
10-28-2004, 03:32 AM
Yoakim,

Did you take a look at your air flow meter ? If this is faulty, it will not give a signal to your ecu, and the car will not start. Try swapping it with a used one before taking your car to the shop.

Yoakim
10-28-2004, 04:47 AM
Yoakim,

Did you take a look at your air flow meter ? If this is faulty, it will not give a signal to your ecu, and the car will not start. Try swapping it with a used one before taking your car to the shop.

Nope, I did not... Actually I'm not so good with car repairing so many things under the hood are a mystery to me. I have to check that air flow meter - Can there be any visible fault on this air flow meter which would indicate that it's causing the problem? Of course I can have a repair shop to install a used part into my car if only I can manage to find the part needed.