PDA

View Full Version : Weird Sunroof Leak ('95 525iT)

Rob Edwards
10-26-2004, 11:55 PM
My Touring has an ASE aftermarket sunroof which has developed an annoying leak. The sunroof panel itself is slightly out of whack, as the trailing edge doesn't completely move back up into the roof opening when closing. If I push on the glass, it'll pop back up into place.
I have blown compressed air through all four corners' drains and snaked each with trimmer line. Still, when it rains I get little trickles through the headliner about where I'd expect the drain lines to attach to the internal sunroof frame.

Anyone ever tackled taking down the headliner in a Touring? How bad is this going to be on the PITA scale? I'm tempted to run a bead of silicone caulk around the damn thing, but that seems a little high on the ghetto quotient.

On a happier note, after 4 years of being AWOL, my rear hatch glass switch works again. No assignable cause as to why, but I'll take it.

Thanks for any advice/ BTDT experiences!

ScottyWM
10-27-2004, 11:34 AM
I had my headliner out for recovering this summer. Taking it out and back in was not hard at all really. (Recovering it is another thing:D)

I've got a PDF file from Bill R. showing the procedure at home. Emial me at scottmorris@bellsouth.net and I'll shoot it to you. Only thing is, mine has the OEM double sunroof, so it will be different, how different I don't know. Basically you just unscrew all the grab handles, sun visors, cargo net holders, etc, unsnap the lights, loosen the door trim pieces, and the headliner comes right out. It's pretty cool seeing all the wires and crap up there, and you can easily see the sunroof drains (in my stock one).

If it has more than one drain in yours, maybe you could just close off the one suspected of leaking?