PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Chevy Malibu

Robin-535im
10-26-2004, 11:49 PM
So I'm in LA and I rent this Chevy Malibu.

The thing drives like a brick, has crappy brakes, lots of plastic...

But darned if the dang thing isn't twice as fast as my 535. Well, not twice as fast, but I'd bet the 0-60 is faster than my hopped-up M30.

It's just a bit of a let down that the car billed as one of the fastest production sedans when new (i.e., the e34 535) is slower than a uber-cheap new car today.

Oh well... At least I can look forward to the drive home from the airport tomorrow.

And since I'm posting this oh-so-relevant post, might as well express my big welcome back to Bill R! I expect AZ to vote Blue this year Bill! I'd vote there too if I could :) Now we just need to dig up George Mann... Where the heck is he these days?

Jeff N.
10-27-2004, 12:18 AM
I hear ya bro on the "slow" thing. The new engines are depressing relative to our old bricks. On the bright side, nothing I have driven - even some of the new bimmers - drives like my snugged up E34. Still the best riding car I have driven.

Jeff

Robin-535im
10-27-2004, 12:40 AM
I hear ya bro on the "slow" thing. The new engines are depressing relative to our old bricks. On the bright side, nothing I have driven - even some of the new bimmers - drives like my snugged up E34. Still the best riding car I have driven.

Jeff

A raw, un-snugged E34 handles like a cadillac, but as soon as you replace some (i.e., all) the rubber in the suspension, throw in some new shocks/springs/sways, they kick the crap out of most cars out there.

but that malibu could practically smoke it's (FWD) tires, stock! What say we group buy some turbos for all? You see that V10 article in Roundel? Mine has drool marks all over it after I read it.

TC535i
10-27-2004, 12:47 AM
I have a '99 Kia Sephia for a daily driver... 4-doors, probably at least as much room in the back as the 535i, and I'll be damned if it doesn't rev 10x as easily. OBD-II + MAF + small-displacement 4-cyl... hops up quite a bit quicker than an OBD-I/AFM'd Big-6!

Incantation
10-27-2004, 02:16 AM
if by "hops up quite a bit quicker" you mean "accelerates much more slowly" then i believe you.

Incantation
10-27-2004, 02:25 AM
What say we group buy some turbos for all? You see that V10 article in Roundel? Mine has drool marks all over it after I read it.

i'm in for a turbo..

Bill in MA
10-27-2004, 05:45 AM
Nothing like getting you clock cleaned by some mom with a minivan full of kids and a dog in the back!

The turbo makes all the difference. I fear them no more.

Bill
92 535iturbo

jjg43
10-27-2004, 08:07 AM

But darned if the dang thing isn't twice as fast as my 535. Well, not twice as fast, but I'd bet the 0-60 is faster than my hopped-up M30.

It's just a bit of a let down that the car billed as one of the fastest production sedans when new (i.e., the e34 535) is slower than a uber-cheap new car today.

Oh well... At least I can look forward to the drive home from the airport tomorrow.

And since I'm posting this oh-so-relevant post, might as well express my big welcome back to Bill R! I expect AZ to vote Blue this year Bill! I'd vote there too if I could :) Now we just need to dig up George Mann... Where the heck is he these days?

...and see what happens. The Malibu wouldn't stand a chance. I've had my car at 145mph+ and it's tight and straight. I've driven a newer Monte Carlo, not sure if it is the same engine as the Malibu, but my car would humiliate it (both 0-60 and top speed)!

ryan roopnarine
10-27-2004, 09:28 AM
a 2005 malibu? i have a hard time believing that the gm 3.4/3.1 from years past could do crap to a 535 (my 525i is a different story...) i know not to bother with anyone with the last iteration of the 3.8, at least not when the transmission computer thinks its still on the highway (the fact that i carry 80 lbs of tools and 80 lbs of crap back there doesn't help). that 2k5 (or maybe 2k4 malibu) has 200 hp and maybe 3100lbs tops curb weight....wouldn't be hard pressed to believe its as quick as yer car (quicker i have a hard time with).

george is in the inner city in detroit, lecturing the ghetto childrens on the personal responsibility and doin' some general philosophizin. if he makes it back alive, it will be shortly after the election :D

jjg43
10-27-2004, 09:39 AM
2004-2005 Chevrolet Malibu V6

The Malibu sheds its rental-car image by transforming into an Euro-flavored sedan. Based on the new Opel Vectra, handling is much better than any other Chevy sedan. The V6 is optional on the base model and standard on the LS and LT.

Base price : $20,995 Get a free price quote

Engine : V6, OHV, front engine FWD
Displacement : 3,500 cc
Valve : 12 valves, 2 valves per cylinder
Transmission : 4-spd automatic
Fuel economy : city - 23 mpg
highway - 32 mpg

Suspension : F - Independent MacPherson strut
R - Independent multilink
Brakes : F - Vented discs
R - Drums

Horsepower : 200 hp @ 5400 rpm
Torque : 220 lb-ft @ 3200 rpm
Redline : 6200 rpm

Top speed : 112 mph(electronically limited)
0-60 mph : 8.0 sec.
0-¼ mile : unknown
60-0 braking distance : 135 ft
200 ft skidpad : 0.80 g(estimated)

Curb Weight : 3297-3315 lbs
Overall length : 188.3 in.
Wheelbase : 106.3 in.
Overall Width : 69.9 in.
Height : 57.5 in.

632 Regal
10-27-2004, 12:09 PM
0-60 yes, lets try 90-130... and then lets see which one will go 130 for many many miles unhindered, and then lets see the maibu make it 300K. the maibu is a city car, the e34 is a highway car, have to compare apples to apples.

MicahO
10-27-2004, 12:15 PM

Jeff

Don't knock it 'til you try it!

http://www.teamdfl.com/events/lrp_10_16_04/images/IMG_2051.jpg

;)

Other note - there were a couple of non BMW's in my run group - you should have seen how this one guy was flogging an older Lumina 2 door (the soap-bar body) around on nothing but pumped up 15" VR rated tires. He had great lines, and enough power to have him passing some of the less-endowed vehicles on the course.

billb
10-27-2004, 12:35 PM

based on the tire tracks exiting stage right (from a driver's perspective)...

Gooch
10-27-2004, 01:44 PM
I'm sold.

califblue
10-27-2004, 02:42 PM
I can't believe this topic, Yesterday I had to take a company car from the LAX area to San Marcos (North County San Diego) which is a 220 mile round trip. And guess what kind of car they gave me...you guessed it a 03' Malibu with 58k on the clock
My impression...What a piece of junk!
From it's real simulated carbon fiber dash panel to it terrible ergonomic seating position( my right hamstring is still sore)
The ABS brakes sucked BIG TIME...pulsed so bad it shook the whole dash
the interior noise level is just plain loud and the stereo sucked!
It had ok acceleration ( but no way as quick as my 535i)

All in all for a $20K automobile I say Chevrolet failed miserably and this car does not deserve to wear the legandary Malibu name... give me a Japanese econ box any day!

P.S. also the gas mileage was only 22MPG ( when I take the same route in my 535i I average 20.6 :p )

chamilun
10-27-2004, 05:11 PM
according to reviews, the '04 malibu was a significant improvement over the 03.

for the record, my 96 regal with the 3800 series II would blow my 530 out of the water 0-60. odd but true

andyman32
10-27-2004, 05:31 PM
I was just about to say... I had an '02 Regal with the 3.8, and it was pretty damned fast. Certainly not 540 fast... but i'd say it was every bit as fast as our '99 528iT was.

tim s
10-27-2004, 05:54 PM
he told me he would trade her 50,000 malibu anyday for my 1995 540i/a w/188,000. he said it handles terrible, poor acceleration (v6), & it has left her sit several times when the car just suddenly stopped running on the highway.
tim s.

kyleN20
10-27-2004, 08:22 PM

look, thats gotta be wrong, i guess i belive that they have some low end torque, but other then that its a crap box, i can move my 535i around much faster with a manual trans then anyone with a "malibu", please, two years ago when i had my e30 i was destroying cars like older grand prix gtp, the ones with the doch 3.2 v6, one of the most powerful gm makes, they take off good, but after you get through that torque my little e30 dusted em every time, and that was the same with every car that i did battel with, (mostly front engine v6 cars) but i went agnist a 5.0 mustang and took it, also i was fallowing closly behind a z28, not giving more then a car length at 100 plus mph, as for my car, my 535i, iv taken many cars, and esclade, a sable gs, all gone down. and whoever was talking about the regal, i bet it was a regal gs, which is supercharged, and dose haul balls, i looked for one myself, lots of lowend torgue, thats basicly it

Jeff N.
10-27-2004, 10:56 PM
Lime rock bastahd!

Anyways, I *did* drive a 330 with ZHP package during the drive for the cure. Engine was sweeet but the suspension was still mushy. Still didn't track like the ratcheted down E34. Now, I would take that rack system and plug it right into my car...that was trick.

Now...some H&R springs or something with some koni's on your rig and whoohoo...let her rip!

:)

Jeff

Don't knock it 'til you try it!

;)

Other note - there were a couple of non BMW's in my run group - you should have seen how this one guy was flogging an older Lumina 2 door (the soap-bar body) around on nothing but pumped up 15" VR rated tires. He had great lines, and enough power to have him passing some of the less-endowed vehicles on the course.

Jeff N.
10-27-2004, 10:58 PM
Power's about the same ('cept our cars have mega miles at this point) but we weight about 400lbs more. Huuuuge difference!

Jeff

MicahO
10-28-2004, 07:25 AM
Lime rock bastahd!

Anyways, I *did* drive a 330 with ZHP package during the drive for the cure. Engine was sweeet but the suspension was still mushy. Still didn't track like the ratcheted down E34. Now, I would take that rack system and plug it right into my car...that was trick.

Now...some H&R springs or something with some koni's on your rig and whoohoo...let her rip!

Jeff

MMmmm - maybe someday. I'm getting to know him as he stands for now. I do have to say that I never got to drive my e34 the way I had hoped to - you know that saga (and the outcome!).

I do have to wonder how they had the tires set up for the Drive. While I've got admittedly limited experience, my car was anything but mushy, and I was holding very well with everyone in my run group. In the turns I was glued to a Dinan M-coupe on track tires (obviously he had some distinct power advantages on the straights!).

Well, it was the novice group. There was an M3 in the group that I passed at least once each run, because the driver wasn't pushing the car as it could have been pushed. Says more about the drivers than the cars......

andyman32
10-28-2004, 07:54 AM
and whoever was talking about the regal, i bet it was a regal gs, which is supercharged, and dose haul balls, i looked for one myself, lots of lowend torgue, thats basicly it

Nope, naturally-aspirated 3.8L V6. 205hp in a 3500# car. That's why I say, it certainly wasn't as fast as the 540 is (well... when it's in better driving condition than it is now...), but it was at least as fast as the 528.

Jeff N.
10-28-2004, 01:09 PM
...are likely not fair. I drove the 330 on the street and didn't push it hard. I mostly noted the rather compliant suspension on the 330 on city streets etc. I did notice more initial body lean than in my 535. I'd guess the initial rate is soft on the 330 for daily driving but it tightens up pretty fast when pushed.

On the skidpad, the E46s are a lot more neutral than the barge-like stock E34, that's for sure. Tail comes right around when you push it.

Be fun to get one on the track and try it out.

Jeff

kyleN20
10-28-2004, 02:48 PM
still, i mean, my grandmas dodge stratus has 200 hp and its no jet to any extent, i promise that a 528 could take a stratus, and the stratus has a auto stick

Robin-535im
10-28-2004, 04:05 PM
look, thats gotta be wrong, i guess i belive that they have some low end torque, but other then that its a crap box, i can move my 535i around much faster with a manual trans then anyone with a "malibu", please...

Less weight, same power, you do the math. I'm not saying it's not crap. It's big-time crap. That's why I'm so distraught... Tell you what: you race a 2004 Malibu at the dragstrip and report back the 0-60 times and I'll bet they're much closer than we'd all like to believe.

Or just go rent one. You'll be unpleasantly surprised!

ExcessPlay
10-28-2004, 04:06 PM
Well guys since I am new to my E34 and already know I need to get into the front end and replace a few, dozen things, can someone give me a reasonable shopping list so I to can feel this snugged down ride?

Thanks

kyleN20
10-28-2004, 08:21 PM
i guess i just feel fast, today from 20mph i lead a mustang gt to like 60, he dident catch up, explain that???

AllanS
10-28-2004, 08:25 PM
rebadged 6 cylinder with an auto tranny?

kyleN20
10-28-2004, 08:56 PM
no, its a friend of mine, we were leaving school, and we were on the straight to the road, bout 1/2 a mile, its like a 99 gt, auto tranny, but its pretty raped, less then perfect condition, but still

Randell
10-29-2004, 07:48 AM
Nope, naturally-aspirated 3.8L V6. 205hp in a 3500# car. That's why I say, it certainly wasn't as fast as the 540 is (well... when it's in better driving condition than it is now...), but it was at least as fast as the 528.

I hope you're not talking about the same 3.8L V6 engines we get in our Holden (GM) Commodores... those things are utter rubbish, when the tach needle climbs past 3000rpm it feels like every panel is separating from the chassis as the engine vibrates your internal organs into new positions... it's a piece of junk! I don't think I've experienced a poorer engine than that... the fact that it has a respectable amount of power in it's later years does nothing for the fact that it's crap...

plus if this buick regal is anything like our commodores (which i suspect it is), i'd rather drive a hyundai

MicahO
10-29-2004, 08:03 AM
...are likely not fair. I drove the 330 on the street and didn't push it hard. I mostly noted the rather compliant suspension on the 330 on city streets etc. I did notice more initial body lean than in my 535. I'd guess the initial rate is soft on the 330 for daily driving but it tightens up pretty fast when pushed.

Jeff

Yes - the initial softness has been noticed and commented on by a lot of people. it does firm up pretty nicely once you tuck into a turn, something else noted by people who've pushed them around. But it is, when you get right down to it, a factory suspension with many of the compromises that the factory has to include so as to not completely destroy the potential buyer-base. For what it's worth, it's very similarly tuned to the M3's suspension, and is a big step up from the 'normal' sport suspension on the e46. They actually firmed the front end quite a bit, while reducing the compression rate on the rear. Overall the car is much more neutral than probably any other mass market car in the BMW inventory.

Tire pressures still make a difference, though. The sticker calls for something like 32/39 with the 18" rims. I found that even these rubber bands (225/40/18's at the front, 255/35-18's at the rear) felt washy at those pressures. Generally I run at 37/38 or better, and was on the track at 40/42 cold. The nose suddenly firms up and goes where you want it to go, NOW. I also like the extra pressure to provide some protection to those wheels - so little sidewall........

There's a lot of good roads up here to play on - when are you coming east?

;)

AllanS
10-29-2004, 08:20 AM
0-60 for the manual 99' gt is 6.5 seconds, so him with an auto, and you with a stick, you might be neck and neck.

Robin-535im
10-29-2004, 11:09 AM
He'd have toasted you both. Or should I say, She'd have toasted you both.

Warren N.CA
10-29-2004, 11:36 AM

tim
10-29-2004, 12:00 PM
You want a nightmare, how about pulling up to the guy in dodge caravan that blows a sub 12 second 1/4 mi?
check it: http://www.turbovan.net/van.html

There's another mopar junkie that goes 10's - gus mahon but his website appears down.

andyman32
10-29-2004, 12:34 PM
I hope you're not talking about the same 3.8L V6 engines we get in our Holden (GM) Commodores... those things are utter rubbish, when the tach needle climbs past 3000rpm it feels like every panel is separating from the chassis as the engine vibrates your internal organs into new positions... it's a piece of junk! I don't think I've experienced a poorer engine than that... the fact that it has a respectable amount of power in it's later years does nothing for the fact that it's crap...

plus if this buick regal is anything like our commodores (which i suspect it is), i'd rather drive a hyundai

;) Buick got J.D. Power's #2 spot in '02 for intial quality. Next to Lexus. They've been buckling down and turning out super-reliable cars, which is a strange shift for folks like me who grew up expecting American cars to be consistently poorer quality than any car that comes from over either ocean.

I really don't know if it's the same block you're talking about, but American V6s are not traditionally very smooth motors. I've had 2 Regals and 1 Taurus, and they are not pleasing cars to drive at high RPMs. All of you should take this to heart: the sound coming out of the engine compartment through the peak power band for our cars is pleasant, smooth and secure. When I wind up my V8, even though I'm usually accelerating at rates that force me to contemplate whether I really fear death or not, I am always COMPLETELY amazed at how a big, 10-year-old motor like this is so damned silky smooth at 5k rpms. Our E34s, unlike any commuter sedan by Buick or Ford or Chevy, are made to be smooth, powerful and quiet at the same time as being driven FAST. That's one place these cars have no equal.

</shameless self-promotion of proud E34 owner> :-D

Craig
10-29-2004, 01:45 PM
no, its a friend of mine, we were leaving school, and we were on the straight to the road, bout 1/2 a mile, its like a 99 gt, auto tranny, but its pretty raped, less then perfect condition, but still

A '99 GT auto is still going to run a 14.5 quarter mile time. In this case I'd say blame the driver (who apparently wasn't racing you or is the unable to actually floor the car) as a '99 GT is going to smoke the **** out of any 535i (assuming equally skilled drivers of course).

Now, if it was a '96-'98 I can believe it because they are quite slow.

Robin-535im
10-29-2004, 02:17 PM

kyleN20
10-29-2004, 03:30 PM
i talked to him, we were heading to voch school, theres nothing not to belive, maybe he spun em or somthing, but he sure dident smoke the **** out of me

Craig
10-29-2004, 03:43 PM
i talked to him, we were heading to voch school, theres nothing not to belive, maybe he spun em or somthing, but he sure dident smoke the **** out of me

He needs to learn how to drive then. ;)

Warren N.CA
10-29-2004, 04:07 PM
The facrory chip is dialed way back on ignition timing. The EAT chip really made mine come alive.

Warren N.CA
10-29-2004, 04:12 PM
they opt for shorter gearing at final drive. Correspondingly, they get worse MPG.

I was just about to say... I had an '02 Regal with the 3.8, and it was pretty damned fast. Certainly not 540 fast... but i'd say it was every bit as fast as our '99 528iT was.

chamilun
10-29-2004, 07:18 PM
uhh, my 96 regal gets 30+ on the highway, and 24 city. for a larger sedan, thats pretty good. my brothers 98 gets 27 hwy.

the regal is also consumers reports most reliable car.

id love to have the regals tranny in an e34. would be MUCH smoother

on another note, i blew by a mustang the other day. 35mph to 100 in a flash. im sure he thought his muffler sounded nice though

Jeff N.
10-29-2004, 07:35 PM

andyman32
10-29-2004, 09:08 PM
they opt for shorter gearing at final drive. Correspondingly, they get worse MPG.

Yeah, actually, Warren, my '91 Regal with the 3.1 got a clean 22/32, and my '02 with the 3.8 got 20/31. They actually get better mileage than comparable bimmers. 'Tis a good car. And since they redesigned 'em in '97, they aim for the younger/middle-age crowd. A little sportier, a little better handling, a little more power. It did make a very smooth and reliable 'round-the-town driver, but again, I really wouldn't call it "pleasurable" to drive a Buick in a spirited fashion.

And (flame away!) I'd rather have a Buick than any other American sedan. Too bad they can't give those cars a booster shot of European aesthetics, and take a lesson or three from the Germans on how to build a snug and durable interior.

Craig
10-29-2004, 10:12 PM
And (flame away!) I'd rather have a Buick than any other American sedan. Too bad they can't give those cars a booster shot of European aesthetics, and take a lesson or three from the Germans on how to build a snug and durable interior.

I'll take a Caddy CTS-V. ;)