PDA

View Full Version : What type of oil filter?

chapmanw
10-26-2004, 10:38 PM
I notice there is much discussion about oil but nothing about the type of oil filter to use. I was wondering if anyone uses a fram filter for their e34. I'm just wondering if i should buy the original filter or use a fram for my 93 525i. btw, i'm switching the car to synthetic M1 since it's running regular oil.

info appreciated. thanks.

liquidtiger720
10-26-2004, 11:01 PM
i would stay away from the fram filter. i heard that they are no good at all.

Anton CH.
10-26-2004, 11:12 PM
I'd personally stay away from any Fram products. I use Mann/Mahle, can't remember which one but either should work fine.

PhilipJCaputo
10-26-2004, 11:28 PM
just hit up your local stealer..... maybe like 10 bucks... or call patrick @ bma.... they ain't to pricy over there

Dick Schneiders
10-27-2004, 04:58 AM
The Mann or Mahle are the best filters to use.

I notice there is much discussion about oil but nothing about the type of oil filter to use. I was wondering if anyone uses a fram filter for their e34. I'm just wondering if i should buy the original filter or use a fram for my 93 525i. btw, i'm switching the car to synthetic M1 since it's running regular oil.

ryan roopnarine
10-27-2004, 09:41 AM

if you live in the US, you can just go to the autozone and pick up the STP filter for the m50 for about $4 or so if you don't have a spare from yer bma orders or from a german parts store near to you. yes, its made in mexico, but i've been running it for about 4500 mi with no major fault indicators (like increased startup noise). it saves a lot of headaches if you can't get the mahle part.

632 Regal
10-27-2004, 12:03 PM
get an original from the dealer, thats what makes these cars go 300k+. no use settling on garbage to save a couple bux or a drive to your local dealer, besides while there maybe you can take some new ones for a test drive :D

AllanS
10-27-2004, 12:07 PM
I used one of those for a few months- looked just like a Mann Filter in construction. I had no issues with it.