PDA

View Full Version : 92 535 5spd - Pops Out of 1st Gear

talltorontoguy
10-26-2004, 02:01 PM
Hi all, I posted about this in the spring and didn't get much of a response so thought I would try again.

My 5 spd pops out of first gear periodically. Not all the time. Seems to go in runs and the process is as follows:

1. Sit at stop light car in 1st gear
2. Engage clutch, car rolls a few feet, pops out of gear
3. Wait for RPM to go back to idle (if not, will grind)
4. Engage clutch, car rolls... sometimes is ok, sometimes will pop again

Steps 2 through 4 can happen only 1 time, or can happen 3 or 4 times. This can be very annoying and dangerous at stop lights. I don't want to get rear ended.

New clutch and linkages. Stock shifter parts.

Everything I'm hearing is to dump the tranny. I'm wondering if this could be something as stupid as a fluid change (haven't changed in forever), or if there is a repair that can be done?

I would appreciate any thoughts, comments, or advice on this.

Thanks much,
Rod

bimmerd00d
10-26-2004, 02:27 PM
Well, i hate to be the bearer of bad news but this could mean a few things. Bad clutch (possibly bad slave cylinder), worn synchros, shifter fork might be going bad, linkage twisted or bent. If you hold the shifter in first will it pop out with more force than you can hold?

EDIT: doh didn't see the new clutch/linkages part. I would lean towards a bad slave cylinder, or bad shifter fork or synchros. Which means, you can rebuild it, or find a refurb'd or new tranny. I spent about $1050 on a reburb'd tranny for my '93 525i when this identical thing happened. At some point, your tranny will get stuck in a gear or neutral and you wont be able to shift in or out of any gear.

632 Regal
10-26-2004, 02:40 PM
yep bad syncros and gear forks inside the trans can be worn.

talltorontoguy
10-26-2004, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the info (although bad news for me).

Which is best bang for buck... a used tranny or do a rebuild?

If I can get a rebuilt tranny it might have the same issues.

Is there a rebuild procedure / experience posted anywhere?

Rod

Warren N.CA
10-26-2004, 03:18 PM
RedLine MTL is my favorite. If your shifter has never been overhauled, it probably has numerous worn out parts. They should be replaced, which might clear the problem.

Hi all, I posted about this in the spring and didn't get much of a response so thought I would try again.

My 5 spd pops out of first gear periodically. Not all the time. Seems to go in runs and the process is as follows:

1. Sit at stop light car in 1st gear
2. Engage clutch, car rolls a few feet, pops out of gear
3. Wait for RPM to go back to idle (if not, will grind)
4. Engage clutch, car rolls... sometimes is ok, sometimes will pop again

Steps 2 through 4 can happen only 1 time, or can happen 3 or 4 times. This can be very annoying and dangerous at stop lights. I don't want to get rear ended.

New clutch and linkages. Stock shifter parts.

Everything I'm hearing is to dump the tranny. I'm wondering if this could be something as stupid as a fluid change (haven't changed in forever), or if there is a repair that can be done?

I would appreciate any thoughts, comments, or advice on this.

Thanks much,
Rod

bimmerd00d
10-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the info (although bad news for me).

Which is best bang for buck... a used tranny or do a rebuild?

If I can get a rebuilt tranny it might have the same issues.

Is there a rebuild procedure / experience posted anywhere?

Rod

rebulit/refurb'd units will have the common wear parts updated.

Martin in Bellevue
10-26-2004, 03:57 PM
Hasn't happened since. MTL went in late last year.

talltorontoguy
10-26-2004, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the reply guys.

I should have stated that a used tranny might have the same issues, vs a rebuilt one which would obviously have been overhauled.

Still looking for a rebuild procedure.

Rod

Jeff N.
10-27-2004, 12:23 AM
Chech yer motor and tranny mounts. Swap fluids as Martin B - geeenuius - suggests. Rebuild your linkage with new parts. Theeeeen, if it still sucks, put in a different tranny. But not before.

BTW, 2nd gear syncro tends to go first - before the 1st gear synco. If 2nds' fine and first isn't, I guess you can fix it with one of the above.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply guys.

I should have stated that a used tranny might have the same issues, vs a rebuilt one which would obviously have been overhauled.

Still looking for a rebuild procedure.

Rod

talltorontoguy
10-27-2004, 04:43 PM
Thanks for that tidbit of information. I'll try those suggestions first.

In the event they don't work... anyone have a line on a used 5 speed?

Rod

WarrenBrown
10-27-2004, 10:34 PM
Had the same problem with my 318is. I ended up buying another transmission from a wrecking yard. That one popped out of 2nd just as bad as mine did in 1st. Ended up rebuilding mine replacing bearings and shift forks. The syncros measured OK. Been back in the car for about 70K, works fine. Returned the bad trans to the wrecking yard within 30 days.

Warren
91 318is
95 525iT

Jeff N.
10-27-2004, 10:50 PM
Email me if you think you're interested. It's got some miles but serviceable.

Jeff

talltorontoguy
10-28-2004, 10:55 AM
Sounds interesting... I've emailed you.
R

talltorontoguy
11-01-2004, 10:43 AM
Having had the popping problem in 1st gear for over a year, I was getting frustrated. A new clutch and completely new shifter linkages didn't help (they needed to be done anyway).

Almost everyone said its "tranny time"... and to get ready to pull out the wallet.

Well, I was just about to buy another tranny and have it shipped all the way to the great white north eh (thanks Jeff!) ... when I decided what the hell... lets give the suggestion of putting some redline MTL in the transmission.

I picked up the Redline MTL, Bruno and I put it on the ramps...skeptical that such thing would work. The old fluid was more like grey coffee, with lots of coffee grinds in it. Ewwww we said... then we pumped in the new stuff.

It worked!

I am in shock.

I am in disbelief.

I can drive my car with confidence.

I am happy.

(Hope it lasts!!!!!)

Thanks guys!

Rod

Warren N.CA
11-01-2004, 11:11 AM
should be to bring all maintenance items up to date. Because that might resolve the problem, like it did this time. Possibly, after 30K, it might not be a bad idea to change the MTL for new, again. This makes me wonder about your diff. Best to keep its lube fresh, as well, lest you be installing a new one.

Having had the popping problem in 1st gear for over a year, I was getting frustrated. A new clutch and completely new shifter linkages didn't help (they needed to be done anyway).

Almost everyone said its "tranny time"... and to get ready to pull out the wallet.

Well, I was just about to buy another tranny and have it shipped all the way to the great white north eh (thanks Jeff!) ... when I decided what the hell... lets give the suggestion of putting some redline MTL in the transmission.

I picked up the Redline MTL, Bruno and I put it on the ramps...skeptical that such thing would work. The old fluid was more like grey coffee, with lots of coffee grinds in it. Ewwww we said... then we pumped in the new stuff.

It worked!

I am in shock.

I am in disbelief.

I can drive my car with confidence.

I am happy.

(Hope it lasts!!!!!)

Thanks guys!

Rod

talltorontoguy
11-01-2004, 01:30 PM
Good point about regular maintenance.

The diff has been done several times. The last time I had some groaning when using 75w90 synthetic, so most recently changed to redline synthetic heavyweight 70w140 and added the differential additive. No more groaning and noticably more quiet rear end.

Thanks again for all your help guys.

Rod