PDA

View Full Version : Battery Warning Symbol

Hector
10-26-2004, 11:42 AM
When I turn the ignition key to on all warning symbols light up. While the car is cranking the battery symbols light goes out. When the car is running the battery symbol light is off as well but when I turn the car off the symbol stays lit (and stays lit indefinitely.) Later this evening I will troubleshoot the electrical system with my DMM. Any ideas for me to take home?

Bill R.
10-26-2004, 12:07 PM
diode plate in the alternator. A bad diode allows current to flow in the opposite direction throught the light to ground lighting the light. Frequently its cheaper to get a rebuilt alternator than to find a diode plate for it.
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/Diode%20plate%20copy.jpg

When I turn the ignition key to on all warning symbols light up. While the car is cranking the battery symbols light goes out. When the car is running the battery symbol light is off as well but when I turn the car off the symbol stays lit (and stays lit indefinitely.) Later this evening I will troubleshoot the electrical system with my DMM. Any ideas for me to take home?

Hector
10-26-2004, 04:38 PM
I will see what I can do about whether I should buy the diode plate or not.

Hope you had a good time off, and were able to usher many lost souls to the good side :o)

diode plate in the alternator. A bad diode allows current to flow in the opposite direction throught the light to ground lighting the light. Frequently its cheaper to get a rebuilt alternator than to find a diode plate for it.

Eugenius
11-13-2004, 01:56 PM
I'd like to see the page it refers to as I am having the same problem.

Hector
11-13-2004, 02:10 PM
I installed a remanufactured alternator. The warning light didn't come on anymore after the engine was turned off. I thought about repairing the diode plate but opted against it because the alt was the original one so I didn't want to repair the diode plate and then have something else go bad like the voltage regulator or something.

I'd like to see the page it refers to as I am having the same problem.

Eugenius
11-17-2004, 01:06 PM
that sounds like the best plan of attack. just so i know what to expect how much was the remanufactored alternator?

Jon K
11-18-2004, 10:26 AM
that sounds like the best plan of attack. just so i know what to expect how much was the remanufactored alternator?

I went with a brand new one from BMA, Bosch OEM alternator, i think it was like $175

Hector
11-18-2004, 12:16 PM
from the same place Jon mentioned. If you have a '90 m30, get the 145 A alt because my impression was that there are also 115 and 90 A alternators available after speaking with BMA.

Bill R.
11-18-2004, 12:21 PM
anywhere for 175, thats a bosch reman. If you check with bma thats what you'll find.

I went with a brand new one from BMA, Bosch OEM alternator, i think it was like $175

632 Regal
11-18-2004, 12:26 PM
anywhere for 175, thats a bosch reman. If you check with bma thats what you'll find.

Bill R.
11-18-2004, 12:35 PM
the US models are 115 and 140 even though everybody lists a 90 amp. The etk doesn't show a 90 used in the 535. On the 535 you can interchange the 115 and the 140. I can't speak for the other models.

Eugenius
11-22-2004, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the info guys