PDA

View Full Version : 2 recent annoying bugs!!

Drooby
10-25-2004, 04:01 PM
if anyone has a remedy for these ...

1 - my dome light doesnt work in the "door" position ,when you press on the switch a litter hard ,the lights come on but when i remove my finger it shuts off.So i know its not a door switch problem.
The ON & OFF positions work fine .

I called the dealer to ask howe much this button is - quoted $110 !!!

I decided to try to fix it , i removed the housing and just pushed in the metal contact with a screw driver - voila - worked fine after that ---- til next day when it died out again !!!

2 - just esterday - my "P" light (when i shift to park) doesnt come on in the dash - If I wiggle the auto shift stick a little , it comes on and sometime dies out again !! All the other positions are fine.

has anyone encountered these before?

632 Regal
10-25-2004, 04:13 PM
use some stabilant 22 on the switch, stuff works wonders.

dont know about your P

talltorontoguy
10-26-2004, 01:24 PM
On the light switch, I dropped a bead of solder on the end of the metal tab. This seemed to have cured the problem.

Dunno about the P

all2kool
10-26-2004, 01:46 PM
if anyone has a remedy for these ...

1 - my dome light doesnt work in the "door" position ,when you press on the switch a litter hard ,the lights come on but when i remove my finger it shuts off.So i know its not a door switch problem.
The ON & OFF positions work fine .

I called the dealer to ask howe much this button is - quoted $110 !!!

I decided to try to fix it , i removed the housing and just pushed in the metal contact with a screw driver - voila - worked fine after that ---- til next day when it died out again !!!

2 - just esterday - my "P" light (when i shift to park) doesnt come on in the dash - If I wiggle the auto shift stick a little , it comes on and sometime dies out again !! All the other positions are fine.

has anyone encountered these before?

Check eBay - you can find dome lights and switches there.

George Davis
10-26-2004, 03:36 PM
The shifter mechanism has a set of sliding electrical contacts in it, presumably to light the correct lights, tell the brain which position it's in, etc. It's a bit like a jigsaw puzzle to get apart, but not all that bad. Remove shifter handle, remove the "wood" trim piece, there it is. You could try a contact cleaner spray, but the contacts are greased so that wouldn't be my choice.

An Allen socket is needed to get the assembly apart, maybe 4 mm (but not sure), and one of the screws was really tight. I cleaned the contacts and lubed it all with silicone grease. Be careful taking it apart and putting it back together, the shifter cable and ignition/park interlock is right there, too.