PDA

View Full Version : UK newbie with some questions

doogie
10-25-2004, 12:37 PM
Hi guys!

I've been kind of lurking round here since I got my E34 a couple of months ago and I think this is the best place to ask the techish question I have.

I kind of fell into bimmer ownership by chance.... I needed to buy a car pretty fast for the money I had (£500 = about $900) I was faced with things along the lines of Ford Fiestas etc until I found an '89 520i E34 which was within my budget..... and I then spent about the same as I paid for it insuring it (!!!! no no claims bonus in my name for the last few years etc), and then £700 after a month getting it through it's MOT!!!! I am a bit clueless when it comes to car mechanics in general, but this is obviously the time to learn (I've had brand new cars up until I had to get this so dealer did anything under warranty)

So far I've had the work for the MOT done by a localish garage (ball joints, welding, throttle body cleanup etc etc) but I'm keen to do some work myself on it now to save money and learn some stuff. (I've fitted a CD changer (it didn't have the stock amp/ head unit etc when I got it, just some POS that I binned), and I've hardwired my iPAQ GPS connections in so I don't have to have the ashtray open and plugged into lighter socket)

The main problem I'm having at the moment as far as I'm aware of, is overfueling, which I understand is due to the temperature being reported to the ECU wrongly. When it was in the garage they gave me a list of things needing looked at and they mentioned this, saying that it was "Either the thermostat, the cable or the ECU that was broken" - I get a feeling that if I put it into the garage it'll mysteriously be the ECU needing replaced and that it'll cost me mega-bucks, plus I've got the hassle of taking it down there, getting the train back, picking it up next day or whatever etc etc.

I had the AA out the other day because I had a problem re-starting the engine and the AA man said it was overfueling probably due to broken temp sensor - the problem manifests itself as starting car from cold and driving short distance (eg 5 or 10 mins to school) then when stopped, not re-starting, either until left for a few minutes, and or accellerator being pushed to the floor.

From what I can see reading stuff (Haynes manual, web sites - I know I should get bentleys but think I need to get it off ebay for megabucks since it's not standard over here) I need to

Identify if I have a coolant drain plug or if I'll have to disconnect the hose
Buy/borrow a multimeter
Have car cold
Put pan under radiator and remove drain plug/ bottom hose
Remove temp sensor
Measure resistance.
If resistance is not within spec (I've got a link somewhere that tells me what it should be), I know I need to get a new temp sensor (where is the best place to get that in the UK - stealer, online, scrap yard etc?)
If within spec, check cable between temp sensor and ECU
If coolant is yucky, replace with new coolant/ use existing coolant to refill radiator.
Switch it on and make sure I haven't b0rked it! (and then repeat when I have the new temp sensor if that's what it needs)

Does that sound about right? Anything I've missed (except for don't drink antifreeze etc ;-))

The other problem I have is an occasional death of power steering.... only ever for a couple of seconds 4 or 5 times when I've been going round a corner. I know I need to check the power steering fluid level.... anything else obvious apart from that?

I also have the classic SI lights always on/ intermittent rev counter issue, which I've seen a million links about .... I've not pulled the cluster yet, but the place I work has PCB bath for cleaning up water damage etc, so hopefully if I have any NiCad leakage onto the board I'll be able to clean it up :D

Anyway, that's all for now... hopefully someone will be able to answer my questions if I haven't bored you too much!

Cheers

Doogie

632 Regal
10-25-2004, 12:51 PM
drain plug on bottom of radiator right side as facing front.

check/replace sensors, start with temperature.

check steering fluid, use what the cap says not anything generic.

Steve525
10-26-2004, 01:11 PM
Hi doogie.
I live in Ireland and bought one from Bookspeed for £50 about 3 years ago when I first got my car.
Phone no (0)20 89947054. Well worth the money!
You can get most parts from either Eurocarparts or German Swedish French Carparts but things like temp sensors will probably necessitate visit to main dealer- small parts like that are not too dear!
Good luck,
Steve.