PDA

View Full Version : Steam coming from rear of m60

tim
10-24-2004, 11:26 AM
Gents,

Took a nice sunday morning drive. Came back and popped the hood and was surprised to see some steam coming from behind the block, from under the coolant reservoir. Coolant level is stable and has been for quite some time, and the heater core is good, so I doubt it's that. The A/C was on. The only areas where I could figure it was coming from was either A/C condensation hitting the exhaust manifold or perhaps it was coming out of the PVC breather valve at the back of the intake manifold, or perhaps, coming up from the torque converter.

Normal? Ideas?

Tia,

Tim

632 Regal
10-24-2004, 12:28 PM
maybe the coolant tubes at the back of the block under the intake?

tim
10-24-2004, 12:40 PM
Nah, they're clean. Coolant's been same level for months.

632 Regal
10-24-2004, 12:45 PM
somethings comming from somewhere.

tim
10-24-2004, 12:59 PM
It's gotta be A/C condensation hitting the exhaust. It was weird though. Kinda looked like thin oil smoke, but no smell. Hope its not tranny fluid. I'll try to get it it again. Is there any problem with driving without the intake manifold cover on?

tim
10-24-2004, 01:09 PM
Well Jeff once again, I think you've found it. Took the cover off and found this at the tranny cooler hose junction.

It looks dry, but right now it's the odds on favorite. Coolant landing on the back of the header pipes? I'll fix this leak and see if if I can get it steam/smoke again.

632 Regal
10-24-2004, 01:12 PM
Well Jeff once again, I think you've found it. Took the cover off and found this at the tranny cooler hose junction.

It looks dry, but right now it's the odds on favorite. Coolant landing on the back of the header pipes? I'll fix this leak and see if if I can get it steam/smoke again.

tim
10-24-2004, 01:16 PM
I'm waiting for the block to cool down a bit. Its real tight, but failing that I'll remove the expansion tank. I'm hoping to just tight up (or replace) the hose clamp.

tim
10-24-2004, 01:22 PM
wider shot of location. Right about now is when I envy the I6's. Nothing is real easy on the M60. But ahh....the sound...and the fury.

632 Regal
10-24-2004, 03:44 PM
dont need to remove the expansion tank. My block was real corroded there too which I noticed during a hose replacement. You cant get in there to sand it, can get a long strip and kinda get some of it so I used muratic acid for my pool to eat the crud off, rince repeat then wash with baking soda/water to neutralize and then coated the thing with a silicone lubricant and put the hose back on. Aint enough clamps in the world to patch that one as is.

tim
10-24-2004, 04:02 PM
Bad news. While removing old hose clamp I discovered that the previous one has bitten through the hose, and the hose itself is the cause of the leak and not an insufficiently tightened clamp. (I really wish I could have known this earlier. The backs of my knees and calf muscles are killing me, and now, even with the new clamp, it's worse.) Unfortunately, I couldn't shorten the hose either, so I'm going to have to order a new part. Sh*t

Tim

tim
10-24-2004, 04:10 PM
BTW, I couldn't find it on BMA, so if anybody has a part number, I'd appreciate it.

632 Regal
10-24-2004, 04:33 PM
BTW, I couldn't find it on BMA, so if anybody has a part number, I'd appreciate it.

632 Regal
10-24-2004, 04:42 PM
go on the online etk, theres like 60 hoses. I dont remember which one that looked like.

http://rust.mine.nu/bmw/

andyman32
10-24-2004, 05:50 PM
Woohoo! Tim, my car is getting bad hose-itis too. That's a rotten lot. All the clamps are getting loose because the rubber is breaking down under them. First, the coolant... next, power steering hoses....

Bad news. While removing old hose clamp I discovered that the previous one has bitten through the hose, and the hose itself is the cause of the leak and not an insufficiently tightened clamp. (I really wish I could have known this earlier. The backs of my knees and calf muscles are killing me, and now, even with the new clamp, it's worse.) Unfortunately, I couldn't shorten the hose either, so I'm going to have to order a new part. Sh*t

Tim

tim
10-24-2004, 06:02 PM
I know. My faith is tested sometimes, but whenever I get the urge to replace it, all I need to do is look at the pathetic resale value to remind me why I bother with all the trouble.

andyman32
10-27-2004, 12:35 PM
I know. My faith is tested sometimes, but whenever I get the urge to replace it, all I need to do is look at the pathetic resale value to remind me why I bother with all the trouble.

Sssshhhh! Pathethic resale value? No! I know not of what you speak! Why... it's because of the legendary BMW performance, of course! Yes, that's it!!! >>twitch<<