PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel alignment

pomko
10-23-2004, 07:52 PM
All my wheels are toeing out. The front apparently can be adjusted easily to toe in, but the alignment shop says that there is no way of adjusting the rear ones. Is there no way of fixing the rear?...my right rear tire is wearing out on the inside.

Thanks

632 Regal
10-23-2004, 08:17 PM
normal rear tire wear is wearing out the insides. I suppose you could pay for some elaborate creation to cure this and ruin the handling characteristics of your car. Otherwise prepare to buy tire every so often.

Mobius
10-23-2004, 10:07 PM
If your car is not lowered, there is no reason to readjust your rear suspension. BMW typically runs their cars with rather extreme (tire-eating) rear end suspension settings for good handling at the expense of tire life.

Not to mention that it's impossible to make any adjustments to the rear suspension without replacing your trailing arm bushings (or buying the adjustable rear subframe from Dinan, I suppose).

If your rear suspension is actually out of spec - something is very damaged down there. It would take a LOT to bend those massive swingarms, and the whole subframe is pretty damn stout, too.

cadman20
10-24-2004, 09:30 AM
Ordered Brunos rear subframe inserts, will that make any difference in the toe out, or do they just tighten up the problem of rear end wandering?

632 Regal
10-24-2004, 12:32 PM
Ordered Brunos rear subframe inserts, will that make any difference in the toe out, or do they just tighten up the problem of rear end wandering?

Russell
10-24-2004, 01:06 PM
I put them on mine a couple of months ago. Not sure if they significanly reduced wandering. It did make the car more stable in turns. Excellent upgrade. I found that with the replacment of each suspension component the car gets a bit tighter.

Johntee540
10-25-2004, 05:13 AM
Bav Auto has a rear camber kit for lowered cars - I have the same issue. Had a blow out on the highway the other day due to tire wear. - JT

pomko
10-25-2004, 08:03 AM
Thanks Johntee

Sounds like my problem. I'll look into it.