PDA

View Full Version : Sell Me An 8-Track - Please!

all2kool
10-22-2004, 10:52 PM
What an ordeal this has been. I decide I'll add a 6-Disc CD Changer to my already factory wired 1992 525i. I do some research and find out what is compatible with my BMW-Pioneer Head Unit. I find and buy on eBay a BMW labeled Pioneer CDX-M90 - which is supposed to plug right into the already factory wired connection in the trunk. Not! It needs an adapter - the infamous BMWPIO. In the interim before finding an adapter - I locate and buy on eBay - what I have been told will plug right into the factory pre-wiring - a Pioneer CDX-M30. Not! Now of course, the CDX-M30 needs an adapter - and I order the AAMP BMWPIO/M for $50 delivered as you cannot find these locally even if you live in Tokyo, which I don't. I figure I can resell the BMW labeled CDX-M90 - and did - to a gentlemen in California. The AAMP BMWPIO/M Adapter arrives, I'm all excited 'cause I'll be jamming to Jim Morrison any moment - or so I thought. I had to "alter" the power connection in the trunk as it ain't fitting into the CDX-M30 without a "change". Turns out the CDX-M30 is defective and it ain't playing a CD anytime soon. I arrange to send the CDX-M30 back to the seller. Now I'm getting pissed - someone doesn't want me and Jim to jam together. I send the AAMP BMWPIO/M back to the vendor as well. About the time I do this, the seller with the CDX-M30 has gotten the unit back and emails me to tell he fixed it and wants to send it back to me - now that I have sent the $50 adapter back. I tell him no, just refund the money. My neighbor then gives me his almost new, AC Delco branded Pioneer CDX-M61, which is practically the same unit as a CDX-M30, and which also requires the BMWPIO adapter - which I then order from Dealtree.com. It arrives today and boy am I excited about me and Jim. Alas, what Dealtree calls a BMWPIO isn't - it has two female ends and well, you guessed it, I need an adapter that has one male and one female connection. This explains why Dealtree was selling what they think is a BMWPIO on eBay for $1 - of which I didn't buy one at the time, thinking I didn't need it. I waited until they stopped selling them on eBay for $1 - I ordered from their website for $35. I locate an actual BMWPIO online for $50 - the vendor has a nice big picture (http://autosoundgear.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jnpmrml4) showing the connections and it's exactly what I need. I ordered it. It'll be here next week. I should live so long - Jim wouldn't have. I got the refund, minus my shipping, for the first adapter I sent back. I haven't heard back from Dealtree about returning the useless $35 wire they sold me. I haven't got the refund back from the seller of the "defective but I fixed it" CDX-M30. I haven't heard from the guy I sold the CDX-M90 too - but I only shipped it yesterday. If this last adapter turns out to be wrong, I'm switching to an 8-Track.

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-23-2004, 03:09 AM
I was headed down the same path you are on. But with all the high priced parts with vague application & compatability data, I am now looking at the FM modulator system at a fraction of the price.

all2kool
10-23-2004, 09:27 AM
I was headed down the same path you are on. But with all the high priced parts with vague application & compatability data, I am now looking at the FM modulator system at a fraction of the price.

The AC Delco branded Pioneer CDX-M61 that my neighbor gave me came with an FM Modulator - if you're interested. It has a wired remote as well.

JR'Z 525
10-24-2004, 07:41 PM
that would happen to me!
John R :D

Robin-535im
10-27-2004, 12:17 AM
I took it out of the old pickup. Technics 8-track, rock on!

Rob Edwards
10-27-2004, 10:33 AM
All2-

Hey, it's Rob, sorry to hear about your hassles! I had an 8-track in my '78 MGB- trust me, it got old listening to the same 8-track tape over and over (I was 16 and saving money for an Alpine, which it eventually got).
Anyway, the CDX-M90 got here in great shape, now we'll see whether I ordered the right cable from BMA. I'll post a writeup on the Touring installation when/if the right cable and the right brackets arrive

Hang in there!

all2kool
10-27-2004, 01:09 PM
All2-

Hey, it's Rob, sorry to hear about your hassles! I had an 8-track in my '78 MGB- trust me, it got old listening to the same 8-track tape over and over (I was 16 and saving money for an Alpine, which it eventually got).
Anyway, the CDX-M90 got here in great shape, now we'll see whether I ordered the right cable from BMA. I'll post a writeup on the Touring installation when/if the right cable and the right brackets arrive

Hang in there!

The cable I ordered from AutoSoundGear.com had a real big picture showing that it is exactly what I need. It'll be here tomorrow - will let you know how my install goes.

all2kool
10-28-2004, 04:33 PM
The cable I ordered from AutoSoundGear.com had a real big picture showing that it is exactly what I need. It'll be here tomorrow - will let you know how my install goes.

So my cable arrives - and guess what? It has two ****ing female ends! What is wrong with these companies selling **** they don't have? Am I the only one that expects to get what is advertised? Here's the picture - clearly this does NOT HAVE TWO ****ING FEMALE ENDS! Yet, I got an adapter with TWO ****ING FEMALE ENDS.
http://www.autosoundgear.com/images/products/bmwpio.jpg

632 Regal
10-28-2004, 04:50 PM
So my cable arrives - and guess what? It has two ****ing female ends! What is wrong with these companies selling **** they daon't have? Am I the only one that expects to get what is advertised? Here's the picture - clearly this does NOT HAVE TWO ****ING FEMALE ENDS! Yet, I got an adapter with TWO ****ING FEMALE ENDS.
http://www.autosoundgear.com/images/products/bmwpio.jpg

all2kool
10-29-2004, 02:50 PM
So I email the company that sold me the useless adapter and they ask that I send it back. I insist that they send me a return UPS label as I ain't spending a nickel to send back a part they sent in error. I send the email several times before I get a response. Their response was: "We have credited your account, feel free to keep the interface". As if I need this useless connection they have sent. My CC has yet to be credited. I see on eBay yet another Pioneer CDX-M30 for sale - and the interface I have will work, if I choose to use it instead of running the CDX-M30's cable to the Head Unit. I'll bid on it later. I'll let you all know what happens. If I win it, and I actually get to play CD's, I'll just ****. Four Changers and three adapters later, I might get to jam with Jim after all.

632 Regal
10-29-2004, 04:05 PM
by time you get it together cds will be out of style...stick with the 8 track!