PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler question

TWISM
10-22-2004, 09:04 PM
I drive a BMW E34 525TDSA Touring from 1992. This is a 2.5ltr Turbo Diesel Intercooler.

My question is:

What will be the effect of enlarging the intercooler??
Will it increase or degrease my horsepower or torque?? Or will it stay as is??

This because I'm thinking to place a Rieger E39 M5 look-a-like front bumper and to place my Intercooler behind it.

This is the bumper I mean:

http://www.amimotorsports.com/rie34ft.jpg

Jon K
10-23-2004, 11:40 AM
I drive a BMW E34 525TDSA Touring from 1992. This is a 2.5ltr Turbo Diesel Intercooler.

My question is:

What will be the effect of enlarging the intercooler??
Will it increase or degrease my horsepower or torque?? Or will it stay as is??

This because I'm thinking to place a Rieger E39 M5 look-a-like front bumper and to place my Intercooler behind it.

This is the bumper I mean:

http://www.amimotorsports.com/rie34ft.jpg

Anytime you increase an intercooler size you're helping your EGT stay lower, which means cooler air, which means more horsepower. The only problem you get when going from a stock 8x6x2" intercooler (or thereabout) to a large (18x8x2-3") intercooler is that you will probably have noticeable lag... but not tood dramatic. The TDS turbo is relatively nice sized so it doesn't lag too much, you will be fine getting a front mount.

monkey
10-23-2004, 03:45 PM
I would imagine a larger intercooler has the potential to mess up your fuel/air because of the higher air density, and decrease boost due to the intercooler's internal drag. I'm far from an expert, but I would look into those issues before making a change.

Jon K
10-24-2004, 12:11 AM
I would imagine a larger intercooler has the potential to mess up your fuel/air because of the higher air density, and decrease boost due to the intercooler's internal drag. I'm far from an expert, but I would look into those issues before making a change.

internal drag? it for the most part will be uneffected, its an air path not a water path. the only thing that is truly effected is the lag... which, when there is more volume, there is greater lag. the a/f will be fine, because the car is intercooled already, a larger intercooler won't make the air cold or denser enough to have an impact

TWISM
10-26-2004, 03:10 PM
Thnx for the info!! I will post pics when it's ready... But because of some financial difficultees that would be next year I hope...