PDA

View Full Version : Car Pullling to Left/Right !!! (Parking induced)

Scott C
10-22-2004, 04:48 PM
I have just traced a wacky abut subtle steering problem down on my 95 525i.

My car has been pulling to the left in the evenings on the drive home, but never in the morning... It turns out that when I park at work, I leave the steering wheel to the left (after pulling into the parking spot) and this causes the symptom. (The car does look "good" with the wheels turned that way).

I just did a test today where I left the wheel off to the right and sure enough the car tended to drive that way.

The symptom does correct itself after about 30 min in any case.

Anybody else ever see this?

Scott

andyman32
10-22-2004, 06:08 PM
My guess is... worn tie rod bushings?

632 Regal
10-22-2004, 06:24 PM
coincidence? That doesnt seem to make any logical sence to me. is it the road/roads crown? different lane usage? One too many sodas after lunch? JK

Scott C
10-22-2004, 06:41 PM
coincidence? That doesnt seem to make any logical sence to me. is it the road/roads crown? different lane usage? One too many sodas after lunch? JK

ROFL - I drive the same roads each day.... ;)

George Davis
10-22-2004, 07:03 PM
Turning the wheels causes the control arm/thrust arm bushings to distort. Leaving wheels turned all day or night probably makes the bushings take a temporary set, which causes the car to pull until they get beaten back into shape after a bit of driving. Nylon belt radial tires used to do that in the good old days. They'd flat-spot over night and thump for a while the next day.

632 Regal
10-22-2004, 07:23 PM
the distorted thrust arm deal makes sence. Maybe if you back in with the wheel turned and then stop vs turning the wheel afte stopped causes this?

George Davis
10-25-2004, 09:03 AM
I don't think it makes any difference. I put my car on ramps and had my wife turn the steering wheel from lock to lock while I watched underneath. The bushing distortion was quite noticable as the wheels turned, and seems to be a function of the steering/suspension geometry.

JeremyT
10-25-2004, 09:32 AM
I believe George is right on the money. A long time friend / BMW tech. told basically the same thing. The bushings are under a gereat deal of stress when the wheels are turned, especially at the full left or right lock position. Combine this with the crown/ slope of the road and that is more than likely the problem.