PDA

View Full Version : What's the best (manual) tranny oil to use?

Anton CH.
10-21-2004, 03:18 PM
I am thinking of going with RedLine, what's the correct weight should I go with?

By the way, you guys were right-changing oil did allow me to pass the smog. Changed oil, filled up with Chevron Premium and it passed with flying colors.

DueyT
10-21-2004, 04:42 PM
Anton, I'm currently runnunt Redline MTL in my 6-speed (oops, mistakenly said MT-90 in an earlier thread.) I switched from the regular ATF that some folks use to the MTL for better shifting at low temperatures. This has generally worked well....but...I have found that my 2nd gear synchro is not as smooth as I would like (better than with ATF. but still not as smooth as 3rd+) I am going to give the MTL half the winter to see how I like it when the temp drops, and may swap it out for Mobil SynATF. Part of my issues with the MTL may be that it is actually a bit TOO slippery and doesn't let the synchros match gear speeds at an optimum speed. The flip side is that MTL is excellent lub for the bushings and bearing that are found inside any transmission. You can find more info on Redline MTL with this fact sheet (http://www.redlineoil.com/whitePaper/13.pdf) or get general information at their product page (http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?pvID=73&prodID=57&subcatID=18).

Cheers,
Duey

califblue
10-21-2004, 05:43 PM
REDLINE OIL CHEAP!! :p
http://www.myoilshop.com/AutoPrds.html

Anton CH.
10-21-2004, 07:25 PM
What would be the proper oil for my gear box, MTL-MT-90 or D4 ATF?
Califblue, have you purchased oil from them?

DueyT
10-21-2004, 07:41 PM
D4 for the coldest areas, MTL for moderate winter temps and MT-90 for warmer climates.

Ted K
10-22-2004, 12:10 AM
I have been using Mobil 1 Syn ATF and it seem to be working fine. Only have had the car for two months. I sure do like it.

Ted K
10-22-2004, 08:08 PM
What would be the proper oil for my gear box, MTL-MT-90 or D4 ATF?
Califblue, have you purchased oil from them?
When I changed mine to Mobil my 5 speed had a sticker to use ATF on the side of it.

Anton CH.
10-22-2004, 10:01 PM
Ted, I think all all 5's have the ATF sticker. I live in a warm climate(never snows here) so it's a tough decision. Can't decide.
By the way, Bentley states that my gearbox takes 1.2L (1.27 qts.). Is that or typo or is it really that little? My friend's 4 cylinder takes twice more.

Jimbo
10-22-2004, 10:30 PM
Ted, I think all all 5's have the ATF sticker. I live in a warm climate(never snows here) so it's a tough decision. Can't decide.
By the way, Bentley states that my gearbox takes 1.2L (1.27 qts.). Is that or typo or is it really that little? My friend's 4 cylinder takes twice more.

It really is that little, i think my 535 might have a different tranny(Getrag 260) but i definitely used less than 2 quarts.

Ive been running Redline MTL in mine for about a year and it really did seem to smooth everything up a bit, but then i've never compared to some of the other premium oils like Mobil.

Warren N.CA
10-23-2004, 01:26 PM
ATF in both my '89 535i and '90 325is.

QUOTE=Anton CH.]I am thinking of going with RedLine, what's the correct weight should I go with?

By the way, you guys were right-changing oil did allow me to pass the smog. Changed oil, filled up with Chevron Premium and it passed with flying colors.[/QUOTE]

mholbrook
10-23-2004, 01:42 PM
I'm running Redline MTL with about 4oz of Lubromoly MSB (black super lube--can't remember) mixed in. After about 6 months, it shifts much smoother and just snicks into gears. I have a short shifter which usually makes it notchier than stock. I put the MTL and the short shifter in at the same time. I believe the original lube was in the trans with about 190k miles on the car. I live in San Diego so the temps are moderate.

AllanS
10-23-2004, 02:11 PM
I put Mobil 1 synthetic atf in last time I changed it- didn't notice a difference over the original fluid. I'll probably go with Redline next time, and change the diff fluid as well.

gale
10-23-2004, 05:22 PM
Mine is notchy going from 1st to 2nd, I have a short throw shifter & have to be slow & deliberate until it fully warms up, then it shifts fine.

I've used 5 different fluids in 10 months.

Dec '03 installed a used trans w/130k miles

1. Started with Amsoil ATF:

pro: worked great thru-out winter, no warmup issues
con: seemed too thin in warmer weather

2. Switched to Amsoil 80W90 GL-4

pro: worked great in spring/summer
con: didn't feel "right"

3. Switched to Swepco 201 80W at end of summer

pro: shifted great, smooth as silk
con: as the weather turned colder, very hard to get into 1st & 2nd for the first 1/4-1/2 mile in the morning, worked great 5 miles later & perfect when fully warmed up

4. Switched to Pennzoil Syncromesh

pro: great cold morning performance
con: seemed a bit thin when fully warmed up 1 hr later. I later read a post on the roadfly e28 board by "klaus" on 10-13-04 , he contacted Pennzoil's tech rep & he stated that Pennzoil Syncromesh is not the proper spec fluid for the Getrag 260/6 trans, darn!

5. Just switched to Redline MTL this week (don't tell my Amsoil sponsor).

pro: minimal cold morning 1st/2nd hard engagement, works very well when warm (10 minutes) & fantastic when fully warmed up (1 hr or more)

con: none so far, will wait to see how it does in summer, maybe drain 1/2 & top off with Redline MT-90? must wait & see.

In general, synthetics can cause premature syncro wear, by as much as 50% shortened lifespan, they're too slippery for the syncros to function as designed, but since Redline MTL is specifically formulated for manual's, I'm willing to stick with it for an extended test period, check back with me next summer.

Anton CH.
10-23-2004, 08:46 PM
Well I am sold, looks like its going to be the MTL after reading so many positive things about it. I don't think we should worry about syncros too much since in the fact sheet they specifically address this issue.

Ted K
10-23-2004, 10:49 PM
I had it changed at the Grease Monkey. It says they put in 2.5.

facsman
10-25-2004, 09:25 AM
Would the Redline MTL also be sufficient for the limited slip differential?

1992 525i

gale
10-25-2004, 12:25 PM
Facsman,

Don't use MTL in the diff. MTL is a GL-4 spec fluid. The diff requires a GL-5 spec fluid, usually 80W90 or 75W90 or ? depending on climate. Redline, Amsoil, Mobil 1, etc. all have an assortment of GL-5 gear oils. It's best to use synthetic on BMW diff's & most synthetics do not require the extra friction conditioner for the lsd, but it's ok to add that anyway if you were to end up with groaning noises.

Robin-535im
10-25-2004, 01:33 PM
for the 535 LSD rear end? I think I've got Redline MT-90 but the brochure calls it a GL-4 so now I'm a bit worried that I've got the wrong thing. I'll have to check the bottles when I get home... might be a 75w90 which I think is okay.

Thanks,

Robin

ryan roopnarine
10-25-2004, 01:56 PM
for the 535 LSD rear end? I think I've got Redline MT-90 but the brochure calls it a GL-4 so now I'm a bit worried that I've got the wrong thing. I'll have to check the bottles when I get home... might be a 75w90 which I think is okay.

Thanks,

Robin

i know everybody here uses the 75w90 in the rear ends and calls it macaroni, buuuuuttttt.....

the oil that the LSD rear ends were packed with originally was castrol saf-lxs, which is a 75w140 syn oil. despite ominous warnings from various people that packing your rear end with the 140 would kill my gas mileage.....and i am an astute observer of gas mileage if you've read my mpg posts :D i haven't noticed any difference, and more importantly, no noise either (as compared to the 75w90 mobil 1 when making turns). i'm using the royal purple 75w140, about 10.30 a bottle at carquest.

632 Regal
10-25-2004, 02:54 PM
i know everybody here uses the 75w90 in the rear ends and calls it macaroni, buuuuuttttt.....

the oil that the LSD rear ends were packed with originally was castrol saf-lxs, which is a 75w140 syn oil. despite ominous warnings from various people that packing your rear end with the 140 would kill my gas mileage.....and i am an astute observer of gas mileage if you've read my mpg posts :D i haven't noticed any difference, and more importantly, no noise either (as compared to the 75w90 mobil 1 when making turns). i'm using the royal purple 75w140, about 10.30 a bottle at carquest.

gale
10-25-2004, 03:14 PM
Robin, according to Redline's spec sheet, their MT90 is a GL4 fluid. Even tho it's high quality stuff, I would recommend switching to a GL5 spec fluid when you get a chance, the difference being the GL5 will have an extreme pressure additive which hypoid gears require. Redline does make 75W90NS & 75W150 NS which are GL5 spec gear oils. As for which viscosity, depends largely on climate. I'm running 80W90 in my lsd. 75W90 would be ok, not sure we need 75W140 but don't think it would hurt. Most synthetics are ok without the friction conditioner additive but if you were to notice groaning noise in slow sharp turns, you can always drain off a bit & add the 5 or 6 oz. of just about any brand conditioner, it is compatible with all diff fluids.

As an aside, the extreme pressure GL5 additive(s) usually contain sulfur which will attack brass/bronze (i.e. syncro's) and should not be used in manual transmissions.

Ted K
11-26-2005, 08:39 PM
Gale
It's been a year now . How do you like it? I have mobil 1 now and am thinking of changing to Redline.