PDA

View Full Version : Jon K: did you do your thrust arms on a lift or a jack......

ryan roopnarine
10-21-2004, 10:20 AM
i rented the two items from autozone that you mentioned as getting the job done in 20 seconds, but the stock jack doesn't allow the screw on the balljoint press to clear the concrete.....i take it you did it on a lift, likely? if you did use a jack, do you have any idea what the maximum lift was on it? my hydraulic just took a dump on me (for the last time) and i need to go buy another pump jack. thanks.

Jon K
10-21-2004, 12:38 PM
i rented the two items from autozone that you mentioned as getting the job done in 20 seconds, but the stock jack doesn't allow the screw on the balljoint press to clear the concrete.....i take it you did it on a lift, likely? if you did use a jack, do you have any idea what the maximum lift was on it? my hydraulic just took a dump on me (for the last time) and i need to go buy another pump jack. thanks.

stock jack is a horrible thing, dont use it. I used a craftsmen 6 ton jack, 4 jack stands lifted at 23" front 24" rear.

bimmerd00d
10-21-2004, 12:41 PM
yeah, stock jack is crap. try a place called Harbor Freight if there's one near you for a good jack.

RayC.
10-21-2004, 01:34 PM
What 2 tool items rented from Autozone you are referring to? I may be replacing my thrust arms soon.

Instead of using jacks would using ramps make it easier?

Thanks,

-Ray

Jon K
10-21-2004, 03:08 PM
What 2 tool items rented from Autozone you are referring to? I may be replacing my thrust arms soon.

Instead of using jacks would using ramps make it easier?

Thanks,

-Ray

Look for a post I made called "Center Bearing Shot" i list the two tools i used...

ramps would work for tightening the bushings but you need to remove struts entirely to get the old arms out... so unless you know something I don't know, you definitely need to use jacks/stands. My car is too low to go up on ramps anyway.

monkey
10-21-2004, 04:08 PM
When I replaced my control arms, I had no problems removing three of them. I used pickle fork. The last one (left thrust arm) was a different story. After hammering it with the pickle fork, trying to pop it free with hammer blows at various locations, impact wrench with shop air on a ball joint puller, heating up the steering knuckle with a torch and pickle fork with large hammer, all with no success, I finally removed the tie rod, and took the steering knuckle and thrust arm apart with a 55 ton press. That thing was really on there.

DueyT
10-21-2004, 07:15 PM
Look for a post I made called "Center Bearing Shot" i list the two tools i used...

ramps would work for tightening the bushings but you need to remove struts entirely to get the old arms out... so unless you know something I don't know, you definitely need to use jacks/stands. My car is too low to go up on ramps anyway.

632 Regal
10-21-2004, 08:42 PM
this is in the parked safety position.

extendos (http://www.bimmer.info/~632regal/safety%20ramp%20rear.JPG)

ill get a pic of using it as an extendo if you just dont get it

DueyT
10-21-2004, 09:07 PM
Jeff, did you drip a bolt in front of the ramp too, so it doesn't skid along the floor as you're trying to get the bronze beastie up the ramps? I'll try and find pics of my extensions...clears the front air dam nicely...definitely an improvement over the original ramp that I had to jack the car up on to...

Cheers
Duey

632 Regal
10-21-2004, 09:14 PM
I have so many different holes and setups. The Bimmers is sprayed black, all I have to do is line the ramps up with the paint and drive up, no muss no fuss. Once up i slide the extendo boards to the back of the tires and drop the rear bolt in. I feel a lot safer under there that way and when I lift the rear I dont worry about the worlds commin down on me. Was always spooky before and I thought of this to chock the fronts up there without the possibility of rollback. I saw a lot of stuff happen with ramps before and didnt want to add to the statistics page. The boards are out of the way too which adds access plus the tall ramps is a bonus.

DueyT
10-21-2004, 09:16 PM
Ahhh yessss....what would us guys do without power tools??? :D

winfred
10-21-2004, 09:31 PM
it'd be nice if they just made a ramp that worked without wood working, my set atach to the ramp with a m20 head bolt dropping through a hole in the ramp face

Ted K
10-22-2004, 12:05 AM
Has anyone tried these ramp extensions from Griots garage?
http://www.carnaubawax.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10142

632 Regal
10-22-2004, 10:50 AM

silverz06vette
10-22-2004, 10:19 PM
I put some 2x6's in front of my rhino ramps. my 540 with H&R lowering springs and bilstein sports goes up with no problems.

I just got my upper arms out to replace the thrust arm bushings. I have done them about 55k ago with the cheap arms. One hit and the right side comes right out. About 30 hits with a 3lb hammer and the left side was still holding strong. The nut is looking bad now.

I get a propane torch at HD for $20. I put some heat to the part that is holding the ball joint. I make sure to not melt any rubber boots in the area. All of a sudden the ball joint just pops out on its own. Sweet!!!!

I call Partrick at BMA and he has me two 750 bushings coming by tuesday. Great service from Patrick as usual. They are like $18.50 each.

At work I tried to use an arbor press to get the thrust bushings out, no luck its going to take a hydraulic press to get them out.

I'll be doing our 99 740il in less then a month. Think I'll get that lucky again? I hope so cause the Lemford arms are $130 each for that one.