PDA

View Full Version : 2 Cracked heads....without words.

PABLO
10-20-2004, 08:59 PM
Bought a used head. Got it tested, all was ok. But mechanic aplied a torque of 12 kg(another mechanic told me that the torque was of 7 kg) and cracked it again (so now, water mixes with oil).
Is 12 kg too much for this heads???
Im without words, im so depressed, i have tear in my eyes, I dont know what the hell to do. (to begin, look for a new mechanic of course)
A new engine??, imposible there are no engines available for this car.(not to much of this car in the country)
Guess the only way out is to buy a new head but not from BMW or try to fix this one because the crack is in the duct where oil flows.
What do you suggest?
This cracked head cost me $2500 and the new one will cost me arround $2800, so guess what??.... i am bunkrupt!!
Ahh already changed 5 headgaskets.
Stupid me for trusting this guy again.

winfred
10-20-2004, 09:36 PM
12kg works out to around 26 foot pounds, that shouldn't hurt it, i do 22 pounds then i do the two angle torque stages 90 degrees then 90 degrees for the 3rd and final stage, 90 degrees is one 1/4 turn or 25% of a circle, start on the center of the head and work out to the ends like this

13 9 6 1 3 7 12
11 8 4 2 5 10 14

winfred
10-20-2004, 09:43 PM
ps do not re use the head bolds or it will puke, they are not designed to be re used, and don't forget to use the thick washers that came under the head bolts, if their are not there the bolts will cut into the head and dammage it

12kg works out to around 26 foot pounds, that shouldn't hurt it, i do 22 pounds then i do the two angle torque stages 90 degrees then 90 degrees for the 3rd and final stage, 90 degrees is one 1/4 turn or 25% of a circle, start on the center of the head and work out to the ends like this

13 9 6 1 3 7 12
11 8 4 2 5 10 14

632 Regal
10-21-2004, 11:07 AM
where are you at pablo?

perhaps it would be worth it to order it from another country and have it shipped in, at least to me that would make more sence.

as for your mechanic, isnt there a ways in your mystery country to sue him for damages and get some or more of your spent money back?

He really sounds incompatent as far as your bmw goes, bet you would have done more research and done a better job doing it yourself, even if you had to invest in tools.

The head bolts cant be torqued down to any spec, must use the anlge turn thing with new bolts just like Winfred said.

ryan roopnarine
10-21-2004, 11:10 AM
maybe its time for you to get a used engine from another country or a junkyard in your own country and have it installed?

Bruno
10-21-2004, 03:00 PM
Bought a used head. Got it tested, all was ok. But mechanic aplied a torque of 12 kg(another mechanic told me that the torque was of 7 kg) and cracked it again (so now, water mixes with oil).
Is 12 kg too much for this heads???
Im without words, im so depressed, i have tear in my eyes, I dont know what the hell to do. (to begin, look for a new mechanic of course)
A new engine??, imposible there are no engines available for this car.(not to much of this car in the country)
Guess the only way out is to buy a new head but not from BMW or try to fix this one because the crack is in the duct where oil flows.
What do you suggest?
This cracked head cost me $2500 and the new one will cost me arround $2800, so guess what??.... i am bunkrupt!!
Ahh already changed 5 headgaskets.
Stupid me for trusting this guy again.

Ok, I feel your pain... try to find a 525i engine.... should fit in there? What BMW engine can you find locally?

rickm
10-21-2004, 03:13 PM
He's in Argentina.

632 Regal
10-21-2004, 04:23 PM
He's in Argentina.

PABLO
10-21-2004, 04:32 PM
im in Argentina (latin america), i really preciate your opinions. Im considerating all of the ideas above.
Thanks