PDA

View Full Version : wont start

DANGEROUS DAVE
10-20-2004, 06:46 PM
dont know if any body can help but twice this week when i have gone to restart my car (1990 535i) after it is warm. i turn the key and it just turns over but will not start so i turn the key again and all the dash lights and instruments come on but the starter motor does nothing not even a click. it will stay like this for about 5/10 mins and then you turn the key again and away she go,s. she has done this twic in the past 2 wks and i am starting to get a bit anoyed. any ideas ?

632 Regal
10-20-2004, 06:48 PM
starter/ground fault

DANGEROUS DAVE
10-20-2004, 07:01 PM
starter/ground fault
what on the starter end or the battery end ?

632 Regal
10-20-2004, 07:21 PM
Could be both but probably on the starter end.

netmgr
10-20-2004, 08:43 PM
thats exactly what mine does!

only when its warm, has done it for about a year now - however i have recently fitted a second battery which basically is there for emergencies sits in a compartment in the boot, charges with the car running etc and flick of a button i can patch it into the main circuit incase of a flat - anyhow point is if the car plays up, i learnt that if i press this button even though the main battery is charged the car starts...always
my take on this is not ground wires as mine are in 1one condition but the starter has been on the car 14 years so im guessing its the brushes/contact surface on the starter needing more umph to get it going... but thats a guess

good news is it always starts eventually - problem is without this extra battery that was fitted as a spare i did sometimes stall it in traffic jams and it was hot and wouldnt start so i should really have the starter overhauled...guessing you should too.

netmgr
10-20-2004, 08:46 PM
what i should have said was starter solenoid as thats whats not activating and its like a electromagnetic device and more than likely on its way out and needing replacing.

DANGEROUS DAVE
10-21-2004, 05:01 AM
thats exactly what mine does!

only when its warm, has done it for about a year now - however i have recently fitted a second battery which basically is there for emergencies sits in a compartment in the boot, charges with the car running etc and flick of a button i can patch it into the main circuit incase of a flat - anyhow point is if the car plays up, i learnt that if i press this button even though the main battery is charged the car starts...always
my take on this is not ground wires as mine are in 1one condition but the starter has been on the car 14 years so im guessing its the brushes/contact surface on the starter needing more umph to get it going... but thats a guess

good news is it always starts eventually - problem is without this extra battery that was fitted as a spare i did sometimes stall it in traffic jams and it was hot and wouldnt start so i should really have the starter overhauled...guessing you should too.
i see what you meen but i dont understand why it turns over perfect somtimes but just wont fire shorly this rules out the starter motor as it turns over at the wright speed and seems to work perfect

DANGEROUS DAVE
10-21-2004, 05:04 AM
what i should have said was starter solenoid as thats whats not activating and its like a electromagnetic device and more than likely on its way out and needing replacing.
il have a look and let you know