PDA

View Full Version : Rotors

scottiej04
10-20-2004, 04:11 PM
Ok guys (and girls?)....what's the REAL difference between drilled rotors, sloted rotors, or rotors with both. IS there a huge difference? What is the best brand out there...I know there are many.

632 Regal
10-20-2004, 04:16 PM
matter of oppinion... most like them cause they look "cool" some here track their cars regularly and want improved braking.

If you dont track the car much and still have your drivers license the chance is that all you need is some good pads.

There was a good post on pads last week here, do a search of just look farther down the list here.
Good luck!

scottiej04
10-20-2004, 04:21 PM
so there's no difference in performance then?

632 Regal
10-20-2004, 04:57 PM
whats the difference. What you are now asking is the difference in performance of them, which is an opinion from most unless you search the net for a side by side comparison.

Try typing into google "brake rotor ratings" or similar to get some concrete numbers. Im sure that the results will also vary among the different brake pads in combination of the rotors.

so there's no difference in performance then?

SharkmanBMW
10-20-2004, 05:13 PM
if you don't race, you don't need drilled or slotted rotors, save ur $$
they look good, people will go oooo and aaaahhhh
spend ur cash on good pads and tires instead

Springfield1952
10-20-2004, 05:18 PM
Here's my 2 cents. Drilled and slotted rotors were made to help channel off gasses emitted from the pads when they get very hot. The gasses form a "gas bearing" between the pad and the rotor surface causing brake fade. The holes or slots also help to cool the rotor slightly and help channel water away in wet conditions. For the street, I personally don't think they make much if any performance difference. The track is another story but on the track the pads are much different and they are not applicable to the street. The holes and slots for the street are primarily for cool looks so of course, I have them :p .

Curt.
1994 530iT with ATE Power Disks

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/curtanderson/ThreequarterSmall.jpg

andyman32
10-20-2004, 06:54 PM
I just got drilled rotors and ceramic pads. Look are irrelevant because you can't really see the rotors inside stock basketweaves. Mostly, this is just the best way I can improve my braking performance without getting bigger wheels, tires, calipers, rotors and pads all at the same time.

We will see if there's any real performance change...