PDA

View Full Version : head unit display from grn to amber

rbeaud
10-20-2004, 12:51 PM
I don't know if anyone is interested in my most recent upgrade, although this may be particular to only the Alpine TDA-7552/7554 and not other brands or styles of head units.

My Alpine TDA-7554 has a green display. I've always wished it would match the dash better. Through EBay, I discovered that it was possible to use repair parts and change the color. Alpine uses little rubber "hats" for the lamps Could be pricey thought- $10 for the manual (unless you can locate an owner) plus the cost of the bulb covers (guess about $1.50 ea for 8-10).

However, my local hobby store sells Tamiya car paints; one is a "clear turn signal" (amber). After applying several coats of paint to the bulbs, voila, instant amber face plate.

If you do this, I would recommend more than several coats (6-10?) as the lamps are bright and the bulb covers reduce the output much more than the paint I applied. My radio required some soldering skills to remove the dial plate and access two of the backlighting bulbs.

Cheers,

Roland

bahnstormer
10-20-2004, 01:44 PM
my alpine can switch colors on its own. maybe u should read the manual to yours?

rbeaud
10-20-2004, 01:52 PM
For instance, the next level head unit in this series TDA-7556 (I think the # is correct) had a switch for grn/amb illumination. Most of my Alpines have always been green with no option.

my alpine can switch colors on its own. maybe u should read the manual to yours?