PDA

View Full Version : Hard Starting 535i

Fëanor
10-20-2004, 11:48 AM
Hello everyone, I'm having some trouble starting my E34 1991 535i.

The syptoms aren't always consistent as to severity, but I'll try to outline my average start attempt.

I turn the key to start. It cranks once, then stops. I continue holding key in "start" position. Dead silence for 1-5 seconds. It cranks again, once, followed by a shorter period of silence; then begins cranking somewhat slowly, and starts up.

Lately that last stage has taken longer(cranking for 5-10 seconds to start). It'll start out cranking slowly for a few seconds, as if battery power is limited, and it'll start up; sometimes during this slow cranking it suddenly "kicks in" and cranks at normal speed for a second or two, and starts up. Once all this is past, it runs just fine.

I've also noticed that when it does the "crank once, then silence" at least once on start-up, my (non-factory)stereo's memory(volume, station, CD names) is completely wiped.

I have a few general ideas from searching the net and my Bentley, but I haven't performed any tests. I'd very much appreciate anything you all could tell me! :)

632 Regal
10-20-2004, 12:03 PM
check your battery terminals, check your grounds. you may have a bad starter or wiring to the starter.

JonE
10-20-2004, 01:15 PM
If cleaning contacts to battery and starter doesn't do it, have the battery condition checked. Could be time for a new one...

632 Regal
10-20-2004, 01:48 PM
because of the delay deal, if it was battery there wouldnt be that delay.

Fëanor
10-20-2004, 02:29 PM
because of the delay deal, if it was battery there wouldnt be that delay.
Yeah, I just got a new battery last year, so I don't think that's the problem.

Thanks very much for the replies, I'll be on it this afternoon to see what I can accomplish.