PDA

View Full Version : Lori makes her choice....it's a BMW!

Jr ///M5
10-19-2004, 09:20 PM
Once the decision was made it was about a 6 week search before the "right" one came along..

2001 525, with the Premium, Convienence and Cold weather packages. The good part is that it's CPO'ed with 36k miles. Steel Blue (Lori's favorite part) with Tan leather seating. Xenon headlamps light the way. It's loaded with all sorts of tricks.

The decision was made right after she test drove a 2003 525 last month. Her comment was, "There's no need to look at anything else, that's what I'd like to have." She wouldn't even entertain the RX300....

I think it was the safest car I could wrap around her...

Now we have 3 BMW's and the neighbors think I've lost my mind....=)

Jr
https://home.insightbb.com/~england31/Dscn1384.jpg

andyman32
10-19-2004, 09:35 PM
The decision was made right after she test drove a 2003 525 last month. Her comment was, "There's no need to look at anything else, that's what I'd like to have." She wouldn't even entertain the RX300....[/IMG]

Ahh, RX300? An XUV? Why have a worthless mutt when you can have a world-class thoroughbred?!

Ah, but after all is said and done, Lori has impeccable taste. :) Congratz man. You must be proud of your stable.

Brandon J
10-19-2004, 09:44 PM
Very nice choice. Congrats!!! Now for a set of snow tires for winter.

billb
10-19-2004, 09:56 PM
oh wait, Ginger's up on stands, and we're on one income...silly me.

:p

andyman32
10-19-2004, 10:20 PM
Aww Bill, we liquidated our E39. Don't be tempted, Frodo! An E34 isn't a compromise... it's a discerning choice to have the best!!! And, incidentally, an excellent chance to learn a LOT about cars. (this is levity.)

(Not knocking E39s... woo... pretty cars! My '99 528iT had the xenon lights, very sharp look!)

Geoff Hoad
10-20-2004, 01:40 AM
Congratulations Jr. Great choice! Don't be concerned about the neighbours thinking you have lost your mind... It becomes a worry when they think you have been robbing banks! :) All the best Mate!

Elekta
10-20-2004, 10:16 AM
What? No Touring option?

Scott H
10-20-2004, 03:17 PM
where did you end up finding it?

Nice color, nice eyes, nice options.......as usual, patience pays off

Congrats guys!

Jr ///M5
10-20-2004, 04:17 PM
After talking to you, I started searching all the Chicago area sites and came up with a couple worth a look. Daily, I would check the BMW North America site for dealer CPO cars. Finally, there was one that showed up at Isringhausen in Springfield, Illinois. It was a one owner that was sold new at Isringhausen. After talking to one of the reps at Isringhausen, we decided it was worth a closer look. I was very impressed with this dealer, calm, no games, no fast talking sales pitches. The car had everything we were looking for, even the price....

Needless to say, you can't get the grin off Lori's face. The more she drives it, the more she appreciates it. Remember when we got our first BMW? Remember how it felt? It's cool to see the grins and smiles these cars generate.

It's also amazing to see the technology changes in the past 10 years, but what really strikes me, are the things they didn't change...

Thanks guys, maybe I'll let her read this post....=)

Jr
'91 ///M5
'91 318iS
Lori
'01 525

Robin-535im
10-20-2004, 05:30 PM
Jr
'91 ///M5
'91 318iS
Lori
'01 525

:)

Perhaps a ":" after the names?

Jr:
'91 ///M5
'91 318iS
Lori:
'01 525

Or maybe you meant it to look that way, in case you should state her year too:

Jr:
'91 ///M5
'91 318iS
'65 Lori
'01 525

Way to go Jr! The more E39 prices fall, the better they start looking. Gotta love the headlights too. I'm still trying to talk my wife into a touring... For her I mean. Yes, that's it. For her. How's the performance hold up to our heavy old E34's?

- Robin

scott540
10-20-2004, 05:51 PM
oh wait, Ginger's up on stands, and we're on one income...silly me.

:p
Jr. love the color and the front end. Yeah, Bill that one income thing really sucks when it comes to looking at cars. I feel your pain.

95 540
97 POS Plymouth grand voyager with rusting doors, whiny transmission and heat that only blows on high.

Jr ///M5
10-20-2004, 06:50 PM
The search led me to drive several E39's, most were of the 525 vintage, except for one 530. The 530 has 225 hp and about the same amount of torque. It reminded me of my old 535 except the throttle was more responsive and it seemed quicker. I believe there were some changes in the Double Vanos systems of the 2001 525. It is very responsive, maybe a touch slow on takeoff, but it's hardly noticeable. I've been seeing regular mileage on the older E39's approaching the 250k mark with minor problems. Not so with the E39 540. Major ticket stuff is going wrong with them. But considering the performance, I guess it's a tradeoff.

In the end, the 525 had enough power, delivered better fuel economy, and seemed to have a decent track record. The latter years of the model run of the E39, (2001-2003) are "tweaked" with subtle appealing changes. There is a noticeable difference when you start to compare the two, 3 year periods.

When you drive it, there is no doubt it's a BMW. You would be suprised to see the body lines it shares with the E34, especially from the side. You can almost see the hood changes into the E60 when the right angle is viewed.

I think I'm going to dread the day we have to deal with the E60...

But for now we'll just be,

Beauty and the Beast.....=)
(how's that Robin?)

p.s. you're trying to get my head thumped with that "model year" comment...=)