PDA

View Full Version : how to get the code for the radio

Kamil
10-19-2004, 04:57 PM
Hi,
I'm part of the minority who still have the stock head unit in their car.

Because of a broken CD changer, my battery has died (the CD just kept spinning or at least was making a weird noise) and the car wasn't driven for approx 2 weeks.
Anyway, I've jumped started the car but now the radio is aking for a code. I've looked all over and could not find it, went to a dealer and the guy begun pulling out the head unit cuz he needed to get the serial number.

Now, I know that he does not need to do that, so I've stopped him, cuz sometime before I went to the same dealer, asked for the very same code and they gave it to me based on the VIN.
I have of course lost the code since, and need it again, any idea where else to get it?

dternst
10-19-2004, 04:59 PM
Same place you got it last time.

all2kool
10-19-2004, 06:11 PM
The dealer will give it to you but they will need the serial number for the radio - I did this just 12 days ago and a VIN was never asked for. Call Rasmussen BMW in Portland, Oregon.

632 Regal
10-19-2004, 06:29 PM
i think all they need is the vin#, some places are full of retarted people from the prior Kmarts and dont have a clue. If the unit was replaced I can see the need to pull it but if you got it from the vin before you can get it again. You are not in a minority of having a stock head unit in there, most have. you just met an idiot and will have to try again.

rickm
10-19-2004, 06:59 PM
This time write the code down in your owner's manual or better yet on a piece of tape and stick it in the tool kit in your trunk. Or tape it on the radio itself...beats having to visit the stealer.

Kamil
10-19-2004, 07:33 PM
some places are full of retarted people from the prior Kmarts and dont have a clue...... if you got it from the vin before you can get it again. ... you just met an idiot and will have to try again.

Yea, that's what I think.

Yes, will write inside the shop manual now. :)